"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to repair flex pipe

Old 02-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Ahhhh. The rare 2002 HHR. Must have been a prototype.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Not sure of your mileage, but it is covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty.

For more info: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...ex-pipe-42365/
According to the Chevrolet website it states the following concerning the 80,000 ml emission warranty.
"Coverage to emission control systems due to defects in materials and workmanship (excludes maintenance and wear items). Specific coverage varies by state. Components potentially include: catalytic converter, vehicle/powertrain control module, transmission control module or other onboard emissions diagnostic devices. Lack of maintenance and abuse could void warranty. Please refer to your Chevrolet Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet for a full list of components and specific coverages".
So it may infact depend on which state you are in. :-(
Old 08-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Seeing as you are not to weld a new cat into the pipe, then welding a new flex pipe , would be the same issue, the OEM cat comes as a single part number including the pipe, the O2 bungs and the flex joint with flange.
Do to this flex pipe is in fact by association to the cat a part of the emissions equipment!
And let me tell you, it stinks in the car with the windows down driving in town!
Old 08-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Technical Moderator

According to the Chevrolet website it states the following concerning the 80,000 ml emission warranty.
"Coverage to emission control systems due to defects in materials and workmanship (excludes maintenance and wear items). Specific coverage varies by state. Components potentially include: catalytic converter, vehicle/powertrain control module, transmission control module or other onboard emissions diagnostic devices. Lack of maintenance and abuse could void warranty. Please refer to your Chevrolet Limited Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet for a full list of components and specific coverages".
So it may infact depend on which state you are in. :-(
It is a Federal law covering the emissions warranty, maybe GM or your state gives more than Federally mandated (doubtful). I know some years GM gave longer.

But now in 2016 we are getting very near the end of any warranty periods.

I'm not sure what your point is. But, Welcome, anyway.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
It is a Federal law covering the emissions warranty, maybe GM or your state gives more than Federally mandated (doubtful). I know some years GM gave longer.

But now in 2016 we are getting very near the end of any warranty periods.

I'm not sure what your point is. But, Welcome, anyway.
Thanks for the welcome.
I'm from Tennessee so Federally mandated emisions compliance isn't really heard of. Lol
Old 08-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Technical Moderator

It is not compliance I meant, it is the warranty that is mandated.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
It is not compliance I meant, it is the warranty that is mandated.
Well, I just know that 2 different dealers in Tennessee told me that it was not under warranty even though I only had 70,000 miles on it and the warranty on my car doesn't expire until 12/23/2017. :/
Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Factory powertrain warranty is 5 years/100k miles. Your's being a 2010, the factory warranty has surely run out. That's the warranty that would pertain to this.
Some aftermarket warranty........who knows. Depends on the specific one you purchased extra and what it would cover.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Technical Moderator

Once again; it is a FEDERAL Emissions warranty, not your car warranty. Some dealers take prodding to get it done. The flex pipe is part of the Catalytic Converter, if the catalytic converter fails within the FEDERAL Emissions warranty it should be covered, especially if you are having a P0420 code. The warranty covers making the car 50 state emissions legal. For that matter it even covers a bad ECM. Many of our members have had it covered. When you bought the car you should have gotten a brochure about the FEDERAL Emissions Warranty, I did with my used car. I am sure you can get one from GM. The STATE requirements can be higher than FEDERAL, STATE must be at least as good as Federal.

Sometimes you have to threaten the Service Writers with GM zone reps. Call GM, call your State Attorney General, call your State Consumer Affairs Department etc. (whatever they are called in your state).

If you go the new flex part route it should cost less than $200, as is documented in this and several other threads. I have done it myself twice for less than $100.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Can this part be found at a auto parts store like Oreilly or Autozone? Or is it best to purchase online?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to repair flex pipe