"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Keyfob cold solder repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Great Writeup... though I found the thread coincidentally, haha.
I fixed mine last week.

Still, it's nice to know I did it correctly on my own!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 AM

Funny (not) the dern thing's been acting up the past week. Put in a battery I had lying around and it gave the low fob battery warning on the DIC.

I put in a brand new one and only the lock button would work. So I had to open it up and clean the contact pads on the PCB with an eraser, and also the conductive button backsides. PITA but it's working again.

I noticed three unused contact pads on the board. I guess trunk release for one, but the other 2???
Old 07-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
I noticed three unused contact pads on the board. I guess trunk release for one, but the other 2???
My guess would be the Panel HHR side doors.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 PM
WEB

I had to go through exactly the same thing, but in my case it was due to my carelessness. I hate to admit this, but I left the keyring in my pocket when I ran my clothes through the washer and dryer. It was a real surprise to find it in the dryer after I removed my clothes. Well, I figured, my remote is probably toast, but it's nice and clean. Naturally when I checked to see if it still functioned, it didn't. I decided to open it up and investigate. When I opened it I discovered the battery clip was loose. All three solder connections had come loose. I assumed this was more the result of getting beat up in the dryer, not a design flaw. I got out my soldering iron and reinstalled the battery clip. When I tested the remote it worked perfectly. And did I mention that it was nice and clean.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:33 AM

programming?

If I need a new Key FOB the only way to get it programmed is through the dealer? You can't buy the harness/software and plug it into a laptop? Both of my FOB's are broken and the solder repair didn't work.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by wagoneer
If I need a new Key FOB the only way to get it programmed is through the dealer? You can't buy the harness/software and plug it into a laptop? Both of my FOB's are broken and the solder repair didn't work.
First, check your work. The type of soldering required for this FOB "repair" generally requires a bit of experience.

While it is technically possible to program the vehicle with a laptop and the "right" software instructions and cable, I don't believe anyone has hacked the GM codes and distributed them to the public for this purpose. I would like to hear about it if they have!! I have a lot of things I would like to tweek with this vehicle, but can't.

See:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...88&postcount=5
To quote myself, "The FOBs do have to be programmed at the Dealer or a well-equipped Locksmith may be able to handle it. If you are adding a FOB, gather up all your FOBs and take them to the person programming the vehicle. If the programmer makes a mistake or if four or more have ever been programmed to the vehicle, they may need them ALL present."
Old 08-08-2009, 02:16 PM

well looks like I am having this problem it happened to my first fob about a year ago so i just switched to my other one now this one is broke. I have 2000 miles left on my warranty looks like im heading there Monday.Is there a service bulletin out for this?
Old 08-08-2009, 09:21 PM

Found the same problem with mine, didn't even realize it was a recurring issue on the forum! Mine quit working so I popped it open to find the battery clip loose and off the points, pushed it back on, only to find it had later come off again. This time I used some super glue to hold it on.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:30 PM

Well I need some experience soldering because I killed my two fob's. So I bought three on ebay and two of them had detached cages. Anybody know where can I find someone who can do this or teach me how to do it?
The good news is the programmer at the dealership did the programming for a case of Bud Lite!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 PM
WEB

Surely you must have a friend who dabbles in electronics who can resolder the battery holders. It's not a difficult task for someone with some soldering experience. If you can't find anyone else to do it I'd be happy to do it for you, but you're in Florida and I'm in Ohio. You'd have to send them to me, and trust that I'd send them back to you. Since I'm not well known here if you're not interested I'll understand.

Quick Reply: Keyfob cold solder repair