"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

making your HHR recognize new radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:27 AM

Well here's the update on EEprom. The new blank one I installed is still apparently blank as I can swap it back and forth between vehicles and it still works. I did however realize that although my 06 recognizes it, it won't drive the pioneer system with subwoofer. Glad I didn't blow anything when I plugged it in. Don't tell my wife, BUT I now have a tech2 tool to play with. I am going to see if I can blank out the chip on the programmed one to see if you can make them universal. Bottom line, if you have a different radio and don't want to pay to get it programmed, buy a blank chip, solder it in and away you go
Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 PM

By the way Sno White, apparently the fan on the early model radios is to keep the radio from getting to hot. Since it is close to the amplifiers I wonder if they were prone to overheating. I was outside in the cold playing with the tech2 and had the heater on to keep warm. The radio was off the entire time and when I turned blower fan and engine off with ign on I could hear the fan in the radio running. Being a closed space with vents right above it maybe it generates to much heat or they thought it might thus the fan. I know Ford has had an issue with radio overheating and killing the display on some suv's I think. Anyway that seems to be the reason for the fan
Old 02-01-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the follow up on the fan. I had never heard of a fan in a vehicle radio before.

Since you didn’t mention it I don’t imagine you had any success with the Tech II. I have borrowed my next-door mechanic’s professional scan tool that can do some programming and I believe it had options to program the BCM to the radio serial number. Not to change the radio to the vehicle, but I could be wrong.

My theory as to why the un-programmed EPROM thing you are doing works is because the BCM software was not written to detect a “no serial number” condition. Have you tried it with no EPROM soldered in at all?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:42 PM

Yes I'm still in the learning stages of the tech II, it is an amazing tool. I probably can't justify the expense, but I bought it from a guy who teaches diagnostics equipment, he is a whiz on every diagnostic tool out there and works a lot with C.A.S. of New England. He has been a great help. If I charge $5 for every key fob, radio, etc I program it will have paid for it self before I die. Assuming the boss doesn't find out I bought it. Anyway back to your question, no it won't blank out the EEprom, just encode it with vehicle info. It reads the info from BCM and puts it on the chip so the BCM reads it every ign cycle. And no I didn't try it without the chip, because as Lucky pointed out there was a site where they showed cutting the + voltage leg off and it would play but with errors. I think I recalled them saying it wouldn't work without a chip present or maybe I did try it with the chip out. It's embarrassing to admit I'm getting so forgetful I can't remember which is true. That's why I've tried to cut back on lying, cause I can't remember which lie I told. But I believe your right about what the BCM looks for. When they cut the voltage to the chip it can't access the data on it. I wish I could remember why I think it won't work without a chip present
Old 02-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Deceased

That investment in a Tech II is one of the best you'll ever make Lefty, with the "Alphabet Soup" that makes up the workings of an HHR's control systems(TPS,APP,TCC,ECM,BCM,MAF,etc), it will more than pay for itself.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:44 AM

thanks 843de, I think it will too, I have already used it to repair a 2000 grand am. the diagnostics kept me from "replacing" parts till I got it right. I had seen the china knockoffs and was tempted for a minute. I am in the process of installing TIS2000 and Tech2web. People laugh when they see an old desktop in the garage, but I can log on here and you guys walk me through HHR repairs. It's a brave new world I know I'll have to fork over some money to GM to log on for updates, but I am anxious to see if there are software updates to my vehicles, and if there are, try to install them. What's the worst I can do, blank out the controllers on the bosses Envoy ! I doubt I could ruin her 18 mpg average. she gets Christmas cards from OPEC !! Here I go again ramblin'. I could sit here for hours and type on this website, it's a blast. I discovered the HomeLink how to, that's next on my list
Old 02-08-2014, 06:54 PM
Technical Moderator

I understood a subscription ran around $50,000 a year. Am I radically wrong, or are you really well heeled?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:21 PM

No, in fact looking at them now my new balance (old guy tennis shoes) are do for replacement. The new MDI system GM is using now has to be connected to them and is pricey. The equipment is laptop based and they are proud of it. The tech II is still very viable but in the coming years more and more cars will be out of it's reach. I want to think I got a good deal on mine. It was one of the Hewlett Packard models, (it has been made by three or four different companies over the years. Bosch I believe has it now. according to the tech guru the hp has better cable construction and circuit board components. But then again he WAS the one selling it to me so who knows. I paid 1800.00 for it and it's in like new condition. The case, candi module, adapters, and different power supply choices are all like new. He programed it with the latest GM NAO software, so it was plug and play (more like plug and learn for me)The TIS2000 software that lets you connect to a computer for updates and such is about a 250.00 program. I'm not there yet, hoping to find a cheaper route. As far as online with acdelcotds, to do Tech II diagnostic program updates is about 750.00 a year. I've been told they aren't that necessary, maybe once a year and I may have a source for those. To download vehicle calibration software runs from 55.00 for two days, 275.00 for three months, or 995.00 for a year. The bulk of what I will do is on there already, so I'm thinking that if I run across a lot of updates for different cars i'll make a list then jump in for two days and download as many as I can. You can update using pass through from comp through tech II to vehicle. Or what I will probably do is download to comp, then copy over to tech II and use as standalone update. So no, I'm not well heeled, BUT I am rather wordy And after reviewing what I just wrote, I tend to think I rather confusing too I hope you can make more sense out of this than I can.

Last edited by lefty51; 02-08-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Technical Moderator

I sort of understood, but you still won't have to access the ECM and BCM firmware updates in case you need to totally reload the computers. As in install new firmware on a former rental vehicle that was ordered with no remote start or TPMS resetting capability (2008 comes to mind).

I had to fight for 3 months to get $86 for a TPMS resetting tool.

Last edited by donbrew; 02-11-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: cut out foolishness
Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 AM

That's why I can't wait for warmer weather so I can spend more time on this instead of pushing snow and chauffeuring. Hang in there you guys in the southeast, I hate snow but it's better than having ice. Anyway, if I understand there is a way to back up info off a module, but if it is doa I guess that is a moot point. I have much to learn.

Quick Reply: making your HHR recognize new radio