"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

New Key, How to program it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:19 PM

yep zactly, except the motel I was at did not like me the first morning, but none of them were late for the breakfast..
Old 04-08-2014, 06:10 PM

programming new key

I tried using the method described here and the car only starts one time with new key. Used method a second time but still only starts the car one time.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Maggie1962
I tried using the method described here and the car only starts one time with new key. Used method a second time but still only starts the car one time.
For the record, I believe that the procedure is outlined in the Owner Manual. Don't have one? check here: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/online-owners-manual-3074/

Are you certain that your new key has a transponder? If you bought it at the hardware store probably not, if it cost less than $30 probably not.

My local Buick dealer will sell me a new key cut to the VIN for about $35.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:35 PM

Normally I wouldn't bump a six-year-old thread, but I wanted to confirm (in response to the post a couple above this) that the procedure works perfectly. Just had the ignition replaced today due to the recall and the dealer cut two new keys and kept my old one (per the recall requirements, according to the service manager). Had to reprogram the spares at home and the steps here worked flawlessly. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by brossow
Normally I wouldn't bump a six-year-old thread, but I wanted to confirm (in response to the post a couple above this) that the procedure works perfectly. Just had the ignition replaced today due to the recall and the dealer cut two new keys and kept my old one (per the recall requirements, according to the service manager). Had to reprogram the spares at home and the steps here worked flawlessly. Thanks!
Why did you have to re program your old keys? Did they replace your steering column? That's where the chip is, not the key switch or cylinder, I thought.

Am I learning something new?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Why did you have to re program your old keys? Did they replace your steering column? That's where the chip is, not the key switch or cylinder, I thought.

Am I learning something new?
The service sheet said they cut and programmed two new keys. I didn't get into that sort of specifics with the service manager when I called to find out what was going on, but my assumption is that the chip is in the ignition stuff they replaced. All I know for sure is I got two new keys that worked and had to reprogram my old ones.

Last edited by brossow; 06-07-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with donbrew on this one. Did you actually try the old keys 1st to verify that they would not work?

Not saying you're wrong but just wondering, if you reprogrammed the old ones without needing to.

I'm always open to learning something new, so please enlighten us.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I'm with donbrew on this one. Did you actually try the old keys 1st to verify that they would not work?

Not saying you're wrong but just wondering, if you reprogrammed the old ones without needing to.

I'm always open to learning something new, so please enlighten us.
The first thing I did when I got home was grab the old keys and tried them. They definitely weren't working -- when I tried to start the car with each of the old keys, there was nothing but the mileage display. After reprogramming, they worked as expected. Since that's what the service manager had told me to expect, I'm not surprised. (What he told me specifically was that I should stop by with the old keys when I was in the area and they'd reprogram them for free. I knew I could do it myself but just played dumb and thanked him.)
Old 06-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting.
I think the anti-theft module is the part that reads the key chip. Unless they changed that(it's located around the key cylinder) not sure why the old keys had to be reprogrammed.
But. I do believe you. I learned something new....although I don't really understand exactly what I learned.

#10 is the anti-theft module.
Name:  CH06270.jpg
Views: 14792
Size:  14.8 KB
Old 06-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Technical Moderator

I guess that's part of the kit.
I have learned something new!

Keep in mind that there is a lifetime limit on the number of keys that can be accepted. 20, maybe, I don't remember.

Quick Reply: New Key, How to program it.