"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Decisions I Use in Modifying and Tips on How to Do a Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Deceased

Decisions I Use in Modifying and Tips on How to Do a Mod

Article i did a long time ago for my forum, hope you enjoy and it helps

One of the hardest things to do, is trying to figure out what we want to do in modifying our HHR's. Chevy HHR has attracted huge attention at SEMA, and aftermarket products that are offered by companies are growing by leaps and bounds on a daily basis. To research daily on what is available to me as an HHR owner, is 90% of the fun. Another HHR owner and I are always chatting on either Yahoo or FB about new stuff and talk about it all the time. He is an amazing mechanic for being a man in is early 20’s. Like me, he is always looking for ways to make our HHR’s faster, more fun and just plain better looking. He is wise beyond his years, a great addition to our forum and has tons of ideas for modifying our HHR’s.

Let’s make a list of decisions that we might need to make when modifying our HHR’s:
1) Money or finances- probably the largest decision.
.....a) How much do I have to spend? How far can I go with this theme on my budget?
2) Plan of action- where do I want to go with my mods?
.....a) do I want a theme
.....b) do I just want to do individual mods with a set budget limit
.....c) do I want to do exterior
.....d) do I want to do interior
.....e) do I want to do some performance
..........i) Note here to tell you that performance mods are the most expensive. You can do a ton of interior and exterior mods and not spend a lot of money making your HHR look great
3) Once you decide what you want to do, now you have to look for the mods you have decided on.
.....a) Lots of great vendors on our forums. If you don’t see what you want, email or call them.
.....b) eBay- My advice here is to find eBay stores or individuals with as close to 100% feedback as you can find. If they have negatives or neutrals, scroll through the list and read what was said and look at the products they sold. You can minimize your risk by doing some research.
.....c) Companies on the internet have lots of products- develop a really good bookmark system and Don’t be shy about emailing sellers with what you are looking for. Ask about possible updates on the products you are looking for. Go back and check and see if they have added any. I use the calendar on Outlook Express to remind me when to email or call them back. Awesome program on the Calendar and Auto corrections to have form emails, so I can email them in less than 5 seconds per vendor.
..........i) Auto correct is Alt T, then A and when I get an email I like I highlight it. Hit Alt T A and then create a code for that email like hhrupdate. When I type hhrupdate on an open new email, it immediately pops up the whole email. All I have to do is paste the vendor email link or I usually copy it off my pop up reminder
.....d) Local stores- (Pep Boys, Auto Zone, O’Reilys, NAPA, small local auto parts stores) Any auto parts store has more to offer than you think. I like to establish relationships, like Norm at Cher’s, so I can ask them questions. Don’t be afraid to grab one and tell them what you are trying to do and see if they have something, or can order it.
4) Once you have found a product or products- SHOP
.....a) don’t be afraid to ask if they match part or shipping prices especially if they are closer, so your shipping time will be faster.
.....b) ask about warranty
.....c) ask who honors the warranty
.....d) ask about returns and refunds
5) Order parts and prepare
.....a) You want to prepare before your parts arrive
.....b) Ask vendor when you order if it comes with instructions (eBay kind of stinks on this, lots of stuff without instructions
.....c) Get an idea of what tools you will need
.....d) I use a long runner to lay, sit or stand on when I am doing mods. Cheap and stores easily
.....e) Do I need jacks, jack stands
.....f) Do I need tire blocks
.....g) Do I need special wrenches
6) Do I need help
.....a) Consult the forum
.....b) Call friends
.....c) Ask local friends if maybe they can supervise and help you learn.
..........i) There is nothing more empowering than doing a mod yourself, and nothing worse than asking a friend to help you and he does the mod and you do nothing. Hands on will empower you to try more yourself. This is huge and your friend will want to help again. Let him do all the work and you will be trying things on your own the next time.
.....d) Ask the vendor for help with what you just bought. Ask if there is anything that might hinder you. Are there any special tools?
.....e) Ask your local parts store the same questions
.....f) Ask if there are any tips that would make it easier
7) Once your parts arrive
.....a) Read all that you can first
.....b) Look at all the nuts, bolts and screws and make sure you have all you need
..........i) I use a plastic tub for my tools and one for the parts I am taking off and putting on. That way I don’t drop them under or in where I can't reach or get to, especially in the engine compartment
.....c) Don’t be afraid to use or even draw your own diagrams. The advent of the digital camera is awesome. I take pics sometimes and then print them, so I know what it looked like before I took it apart.
.....d) Find out if you need any special tools.
..........i) A lot of times they can be rented at your local auto parts store and you don’t have to buy them
..........ii) Home Depot has some great tool rentals as well
8) Set up a plan on how to do your mod. Sometimes I do a run through in my mind on how I am going to do it. I even make a map or make a printed list sometimes.

When I did the first 3-Bar CJ/Shagy grille, I had never done one and just took the grille off. I brought it in the house and studied it and came up with a plan on how I wanted to do it. I drew on it with a dry erase marker and then looked on the back to see how I could make the mesh work, where I wanted to make the cuts and what it would take to hold the mesh in place.

I know this sounds like a lot, but after a couple of mods this all becomes really simple and quick. It really gives you a sense of what, where and how you are going to do it before you even start, and then the mod is really simple.
Doing mods can be the most fun and gratifying thing you will do and give you a real sense of pride in not only your HHR, but in YOU and really build some self confidence.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Great approach there for mods as well as repairs.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Deceased

An organized mind is a great thing, very nicely thought out CJ.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

That's the hard way....I just ask my buddy CJ.........