"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Power Steering Motor Replacement w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Technical Moderator

Just a random thought. Maybe there is a problem in the heat duct?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:59 PM

A big thankyou

So we have a 06 with 107k and wife calls me yesterday and says car made some dings and now it says POWER STEERING!

You know the rest. lol Hard to steer.

Lucky she was very close to work and parked no problem.

So I came right here and found out she could reset problem and drive home with defrosters only and made it 15 miles without issue.

I drove it today with heat on and it went 12 miles and bang. So the defroster trick may work for you also. I drove it 26 mile back with def. and it didn't break.

So called 5 dealers and they all wanted retail $104+ and one guy wanted $10 over and when I asked for discount he offered retail?

Found a dealer 26 miles away and if I paid over the internet and not in person they sold it to me for $71+ and sales tax of course.

2 gallon of gas and 1 hour had it home.

Thanks to everyone's directions and pics. I had it installed in 20 minutes. Used drill for the small bolts and it was quick. Had to it is 15 deg and minus 5 with the wind!

The hardest part was the plastic tie because it was wrapped/curled the wrong way. lol

Also had the driver side wiper break Christmas eve and fixed that for free thanks to everyone here.

Saved me lots of money!!

Lets hope for a recall and save people from the stealer prices(2-3 hours what a joke).

Happy new year and be safe!
Old 12-31-2013, 02:16 PM

I'm glad to here you found the help and info here and your up and running again

Happy new year! Be safe.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM

I just want to add my "thank you", Stryker. It's these kinds of write-ups that make the difference between "I'm going to do this" and "I'm going to pay someone to do this." Chilton's manuals with their grainy black-and-white photos were never this easy to follow. Knowing ahead of time what a job entails makes it go a lot faster, too. I've done lots of my own work over the years, including changing the motor mounts on a '76 Fiesta without removing the engine! Water pumps, points, brakes, etc., but it doesn't happen unless the confidence that it's a doable job comes first, and in this case, that confidence came from your instructions and photographs right here.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:46 PM

I posted earlier today about the Power Steering message and then realized I had not done a search. Mine has only done this once (so far) and when I restarted the Power Steering was fine but got Service Air Bag message. Are these two related?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tucsondivots
I posted earlier today about the Power Steering message and then realized I had not done a search. Mine has only done this once (so far) and when I restarted the Power Steering was fine but got Service Air Bag message. Are these two related?
Closing this thread (at least temporarily) - tucsondivots, this is considered a double post, being you opened a new thread about it earlier. Lets just stick to your new thread, rather than getting it all messy with answers/questions all over the place.

Glad you found the search tool - it sure works well, and is sooooo much better than the old one we had.