"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

General brand snaps for cargo shelf

Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 PM

General brand snaps for cargo shelf

Guys,

I have the carpet option for the cargo shelf on our 09 2LT. The trouble is that in the raised position it falls off constantly.

I wondered if there was a way to hold it in place when it is raised to the upper position, where it is "friendlier" to the loads hauled I think.

I tried velcro and it constantly came unglued, so I decided to take a more "mechanical approach", snaps!

Home Depot sells a snap kit by General for about $5.00. http://www.performancetoolcenter.com...-fastener.html

The female part is on the carpeting while the male side of the snap you affix to the shelf with 3 modified screws.

I used 3 inch 6/32 long flat head threaded screws with their heads ground down thin to make them operate and nutted them after drilling through the shelf edge. I used 3 holes and 3 snaps. The (3) 3''-6/32 screws and nuts were needed because the normal snap rivet fastener isn't long enough to go through the shelf thickness. I used washers under the 6/32 nuts with Locktite on the threads to keep them there. You trim the excess length and clean your cut with a file when finished obviously.
I made 3 holes on the edge of the carpet (run your drill backwards to make the holes and not snag the pile)

The carpet stays in place or can be easily removed instead of sliding all over these days. I feel that it looks nice, like it was always there as planned by GM.

If you like, I'll write it up and include my pictures.

QuickRick
Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 PM

yes pics please
Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 PM
jx3

2nd that motion for pics!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 PM

Cargo Shelf Carpet-pictures

Guys,

Remember to follow the directions in my first posting.

**Drill 3 holes for the 3 flat head screws in the shelf for the male snap end.
**Grind down the head of the screw until the slot is almost gone for proper operation.
**Drill the carpet holes with the drill in reverse as to not snag the pile.
**Install the chrome female snap and Carpet side cap on the floor using a soft scrap of wood instead of supplied anvil to rivet the pair together. (won't dent the chrome outer cap as easily I found)
**Use a straight edge to get your 3 holes and carpet in the same even placement spots. (clamp the carpet to the shelf is a way as you reverse drill may help you to 'mark' it)
**The screws are 6/32 flathead screws 3 inches long with nuts and washers Loctited.
**Remember to cut the extra screw length then dress rough edges with a file.
**proper snap placement is approximately 5 inches in from the shelf edge (see pics)

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/bro...=3&userid=9457

Send me mail if you have a question,

QuickRick

p.s. see pics at link or (QuickRick's member gallery)

Last edited by QuickRick; 12-29-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Cargo area carpet snaps

BTW,

If you cannot find the 6/32 x 3 inch screws let me know.......I have plenty of them.

QuickRick