Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

XM adaptor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 AM

Talking XM adaptor?

Anyone know of an adaptor that would adapt my factory XM antenna to the aftermarket XM radio. I installed a Kenwood with all the toys on it, but would rather use the factor antenna.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Seems like it would be a cable extension from the factory XM Receiver located behind the right rear passenger seat. Have to remove the large trim panel above the tire area for access. Type of coax wire would be important, as well as the connectors.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Yes for sure that is where it's at... Problem is, it has a different connector. I have seen where some people have tried to splice the two (Solder them together) it's a very tiny coax wire.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Technical Moderator

If there is connector, there is a mate for it. Try Digikey, or the like. Or cut the wire and put a new connector on it.

And the wires will need to be the same resistance probably.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:25 PM

Soldering the two COAX cables together would not be good. Coax has impedance, not resistance, well actually it has a resistance too, but in this case it is not that important.

See if you can find the type of cable that is used in the vehicle. Cable usually has markings along the length saying who manufactured it, the gauge, impedance, manufacturer number, etc.. From there you can do a search to find its specifications and source a better cable with less loss with the same impedance. Check out your local radio shops or HAM radio clubs. Surplus electronics places too.

The reason for suggesting that you get a better cable than what is in the vehicle is that you are going to at least double the existing length and put in a connector. All things that create losses. The losses maybe too great for good reception.

The connector should be the same impedance as well.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Technical Moderator

20 minutes later I said to myself "impedance not resistance, dummy".
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM

Thanks to you all... Maybe easier to gut the shark fin, and install the aftermarket antenna in there? any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by jczboy
Thanks to you all... Maybe easier to gut the shark fin, and install the aftermarket antenna in there? any thoughts?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I mounted my new pioneer tuner where the existing one was and hooked my factory cable right up to the tuner box. You should need a cable extension and run it from where the factory tuner is in the back to your Kenwood adapter in the front.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 PM

Spacecowboy... I'm not sure what you mean. The XM is in the right rear, Correct? How did you get it to adapt to the aftermarket? You don't have any Pix do you?

I really hate that little hockey puck that I Had to put on my roof.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by jczboy
Spacecowboy... I'm not sure what you mean. The XM is in the right rear, Correct? How did you get it to adapt to the aftermarket? You don't have any Pix do you?

I really hate that little hockey puck that I Had to put on my roof.

Unplug the antenna from the old tuner and plug it into your new tuner. I have a pioneer so I mounted it back in the stock location since the IP Bus cable is long enough. With your kenwood you will need an extension.

Quick Reply: XM adaptor?