"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Repair Key Fob Remote's worn out contacts

Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 PM

The foil is working fine for me.

To cut out the foil dot I used a 3/16” hole punch. Simply sandwich a piece of foil between two or more layers of paper to ease the cutting. I could not cut just the foil – it was too thin for the hole punch.

To handle the cut foil just use some saliva on a toothpick to position the foil on the bad button after applying your adhesive to the old pad. I think I used some automotive Blue RTV.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

One of my repaired remotes (two years ago) was getting a bit balky on the LOCK button, so I redid it as per my original post. I was a bit reluctant to go the tinfoil routine, as I would be worried that the aluminum foil might wear away the gold contacts on the circuit board. The repair took all of 5 minutes to cut and trim a new @carbon@ button and glue it on.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 AM

I just bought and installed one of these for $12.95, simple and works like a champ.
www.keylessfix.com
Old 09-09-2012, 09:09 PM

Thanks all...

I was thinking it was me! Glad to see my keyfob has equally challenged friends.

I am having trouble finding a way to actually order SnoWhite's recommended product from Chemtronics - found the product on their site but no direct ordering there. I did find a contact for my region of the US and have requested they let me know which of their distributors would have it. If I get an answer worth posting, I will share.

I love the DIY post also but simply don't have that kind of time or patience!!

I did order the KeylessFix product. Figured it would be fastest/easiest solution.

Last edited by AngelJ; 09-09-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: updated result
Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
... I was a bit reluctant to go the tinfoil routine, as I would be worried that the aluminum foil might wear away the gold contacts on the circuit board.
I had not considered this.

However, I don't expect to not have to redo this repair in the future or straight out buy another remote after both of my remotes become unserviceable. I have only used one of the remotes that came with the vehicle, so I have a brand new one. This December it will be four years of use – better than any other remote I have used.

As for all the repairs suggested so far in this thread I really like the ability to just buy another replacement button pad and swap it into the existing remote.

As for the Chemtronics product I recommended earlier I would like to recant that recommendation – as just buying the button pad is less expensive than using the product. AND so much easier.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:56 PM

A great big thank you for the info and website on the keyless fix product.we bought one for each of the keyfobs ,and they worked great. the website even had a few tips to see if their products were the solution to our problems.(soldered the battery holder back on in one of them).My wife said she's not going to miss the honking horn ,after she used the key:)
thanks again,Jim Rice Florida
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM

Update

My foil on the buttons repair did not hold up too well, the foil/adhesive bond gave way. The silicon adhesive stuck to the old carbon pads just fine, just not the foil.

So I decided to just buy the button pad, however I could not find anyone with just the pad in stock at this time. So I purchased the case and button pad together. Yet to receive the parts, but good hopes for the outcome.

My decision to purchase verses repair came about because I did not want to fool around with finding a suitable adhesive, plus the button legends on the front of the FOB were wearing away. Eventually I would have to be guessing which is the “lock” and which is the “unlock” buttons, better to take care of two problems at once.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM

or....keylessfic.com check their help section
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM

oops www.keylessfix.com
Old 10-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by alexrckid
Yup, saw them, and was more than considering them. However, that would not take care of the button legend wearing away problem.

Here is where I ordered from:
Amazon Amazon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repair Key Fob Remote's worn out contacts