"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Replacing Lower Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Hey save your old LCA's for me, I'd like a spare set to rebuild!
Darn, I just gave away my used pair to a neighbour for his future rebuild. Wish I saved them for you - you could have just swung by and picked them up.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:30 PM
Administrator

I'll be in Florida in April, gonna have a few meet and greets, get a picture of Oldblue and Gregg and maybe Beachbum1 in the Bradenton area.
Gee, Sweetie and I have always wanted to go to BC, it's not that far!
Old 03-15-2017, 03:07 PM

You need to just drive it, does it pull left or right? Hey save your old LCA's for me, I'd like a spare set to rebuild!
I'll seriously keep em for you if you make the trip to Florida this year
Old 03-15-2017, 03:09 PM

I'll be in Florida in April, gonna have a few meet and greets, get a picture of Oldblue and Gregg and maybe Beachbum1 in the Bradenton area.
Gee, Sweetie and I have always wanted to go to BC, it's not that far!
Next month wow it's creeping up fast! Gregg would love a pic with Oldblue!!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 PM

Name:  20170621_154241_zpstjwww5ni.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  150.3 KB

I did my passenger side arm today, hopefully have time to do drivers side tomorrow. I used the moog complete control arms, but also ordered their problem solver solid bushings to press into the original control arms. I will have to find a place to do that since I dont have required tools. It would be great if they had a version with the sturdier bushing installed.
I was hoping it would stop the swaybar contacting the arm, but still seems to be touching, I will investigate more tomorrow.
I also had trouble sliding the rear bushing end in. I ended up using a 3/8 extension through the bushing to keep it vertical while pushing it into the bracket , then lined up with the hole and shoved the bolt in, but couldnt catch threads. Then I did the front bushing and ball joint loosely. Now secure, I could jack up the ball joint to help align the rear bushing, still had to use the 3/8 extension to pry the arm inward a bit against the frame rail before the threads would catch.
So, more wrestling than I thought, but got one done.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:25 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't know if I posted this hint in this thread or not.

If you take the top strut nuts off life is much easier when you get to putting the ball joints in to the knuckle.

It was my experience that 12 inch sway bar links caused the banging, cleared up after I put the correct 10 inch links on. There is also a plastic stop on the sway bar inside the bushings, they can slip out of position.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I don't know if I posted this hint in this thread or not.

If you take the top strut nuts off life is much easier when you get to putting the ball joints in to the knuckle.

It was my experience that 12 inch sway bar links caused the banging, cleared up after I put the correct 10 inch links on. There is also a plastic stop on the sway bar inside the bushings, they can slip out of position.
I read that about the struts earlier in this thread, but i didn't have any problem with the ball joints.
I also got the 10" links in the same order in case that will help. Now I just need time, this is the first chance in about a year for me to get this done.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 AM
Administrator

It's a lot easier with an air impact wrench!
Why not order the problem solver bushings K200792?

Front Lower Control Arm Bushing | Chevrolet Cavalier
Old 06-22-2017, 11:07 AM

It's a lot easier with an air impact wrench!
Why not order the problem solver bushings K200792?

Front Lower Control Arm Bushing Chevrolet Cavalier
I have the problem solver bushings.
An air impact would have helped today, my old electric was struggling, I had to fight the big bolt all the way out. Then I found a nick in the last full thread, like it may have taken a hit when I had it done under warranty.
I cleaned that up but testing it without the control arm in place it isnt threading in smoothly at all. I'm afraid putting it back together may strip the captive nut, which is already a little loose in the frame. I dont like the idea of jamming it up there with the impact, i always start by hand. Right now im taking a rain break.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Just curious, which problem solver part number, the one in the picture looks solid rubber.
Moog has the same name for their replacement parts
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Lower Control Arms-img_0242.jpg  

Quick Reply: Replacing Lower Control Arms