Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?
-
Go Back   Chevy HHR Network > General Discussion > "How To" Tutorial Library > Resetting check engine light.
-

"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #1

Member #: 687
Check out my gallery 
Resetting check engine light.

Does anyone how to reset the light? My girlfriend drove home from the gas station with the the cap off and triggered the light. I dont want to go to the dealer to reset it! I'm very busy all the time (just like everyone). And it seems like every trip there is an all day experience..
caddytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #2

Member #: 861
Check out my gallery 
I have heard that on other vehicles, if that happens, just put the cap back on and after several engine starts, several days, or some such, it will go away.

He who hunts for flowers will find flowers;
and he who loves weeds will find weeds.

Henry Beecher
MikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #: 598
Check out my gallery 
There is info in the owners manual regarding that issue! Heck if I remember what it said, I know it's there though!
SindyDix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #4

Member #: 166
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddytruck
Does anyone how to reset the light? My girlfriend drove home from the gas station with the the cap off and triggered the light. I dont want to go to the dealer to reset it! I'm very busy all the time (just like everyone). And it seems like every trip there is an all day experience..
Mike is right: on the HHR, you just reinstall the cap and drive it 50-75 miles. The computer will reset itself, saving you a trip to the dealer and $$$ for a code clear.

"If I were a rich man..."
SoCalHHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 PM   #5

Member #: 647
Check out my gallery 
It happened to me and the dealer said after 10 starts of the engine it will go away and did!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2449021
http://myspace.com/ohskool
JESSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:06 AM   #6

Member #: 330
Check out my gallery 
If you happen to have the new CAN OBD code reader, you would be able to reset it within a few minutes...

Stop by , and I'll do it for you..
hvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:01 PM   #7

Member #: 166
Check out my gallery 
Only one problem; by the time he got there from Ohio - it would be reset already! What a waste of gas that would be.

"If I were a rich man..."
SoCalHHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #8

Member #: 812
Check out my gallery 
I have the new locking gas cap and my check gas cap light came on today and then the check engine light came on and will not go off. Will disconnecting the battery fix this problem? Or should I just drive it until it goes off...hoping it's nothing else? HELP!!!

PS...I put the old gas cap back on for now. Guess I didn't have it on securely when I put gas in it the last time and it worked itself loose.
courthousedeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #9

Member #: 968
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by courthousedeb
I have the new locking gas cap and my check gas cap light came on today and then the check engine light came on and will not go off. Will disconnecting the battery fix this problem? Or should I just drive it until it goes off...hoping it's nothing else? HELP!!!

PS...I put the old gas cap back on for now. Guess I didn't have it on securely when I put gas in it the last time and it worked itself loose.
Same thing happened to me and my new locking gas cap.I just shut the engine off, unlocked and removed the cap, put the cap back on and locked it. Its been fine for about a week now. Only difference is, my check engine light did not come on.

Regards,Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #10

Member #: 920
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by courthousedeb

Deb FYI I have the same locking cap as you and have had it on a month now and no problem with the check gas cap message or check engine light. I do not run my tank below half. How low was your tank when it came on? Maybe mine would come on if I ran it lower.

But maybe you have another issue. I think if I were you I would run it in for a diagnostic in case it is purely conincidental to you having the different fuel cap. Not sure I would want to drive it as much as is apparently needed to get the light to shut off when triggered by the gas cap if I was not positive it was caused by the cap.

2006 Daytona Blue LT 2.4 manual built 5/16/2006
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:25 PM

submit to reddit