"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Administrator

The glass won't seal correctly with these brackets not correctly in place.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The glass won't seal correctly with these brackets not correctly in place.
That's what I figured anything I could do to remedy it?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Replace the brackets
Old 05-19-2016, 08:09 AM
Technical Moderator

You could go back to page 1 of 9. Seems like that's what this entire 9 page thread is about.

Is there something weird going on with this site on different platforms? Seems a lot of folks lately are not aware of previous pages. It works fine on mt PC, don't know about tablets or phones.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Works on my iPhone, the first page still has pictures from back in 2007!
Old 07-08-2016, 11:59 AM

So no one has pictures of them replacing the bracket as some members have done?? Anyone that has done it, any issues?

Mine broke last week, and i can hear it rattle a little now, so guessing that it is not sealed correctly (luckily I park in a garage at home and at work and it has been a drought here...) I really don't want to just remove the deflector and put a stick on one in.

Would like to fix this myself, but pictures would be worth a lot to know what i am drilling, what I am doing etc. So same size drill bits and rivets as listed in the TSB? Just do it from the top? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, replaces sway bar links, struts etc, so i'm not entirely clueless. And small work like this would be more my forté.

I will say i'm clueless about rivets, so by a long nose tool, you mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6555-R...WQ7TMM1VCH4W29

Old 07-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Technical Moderator

That is called a Pop rivet gun, the "new fashioned" way to apply rivets The old fashioned way is to put a hollow tube through the hole and bang both sides flat with a pair of ball-peen hammers, now you know what those hammers are for,.

Is there something wrong with the pix on post #1 of this thread? If you really want to see the actual GM procedure get a subscription to AllData, short term subs are fairly cheap. Some auto parts stores can access it for you, I know NAPA can, but don't easily admit to it.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
That is called a Pop rivet gun, the "new fashioned" way to apply rivets The old fashioned way is to put a hollow tube through the hole and bang both sides flat with a pair of ball-peen hammers, now you know what those hammers are for,.

Is there something wrong with the pix on post #1 of this thread? If you really want to see the actual GM procedure get a subscription to AllData, short term subs are fairly cheap. Some auto parts stores can access it for you, I know NAPA can, but don't easily admit to it.

1. That doesn't answer if that is the "long nose" rivet gun that was described to complete the fix.

2. As much as the photos on the first page are great, and show you how to remove the deflector, it is not showing the replacement part (which when searching the part, you don't even see what the part looks like there), the process to drill out the rivet, how you are reattaching etc. To me that is a bit different and I'm not the first one to ask. In the photo shown I see one rivet, the TSB mentions two. Also that you have to drill new holes in the new part, etc. I am happy I was able to at least get mine closed, so if I can plan it out before opening it again, that would be a good thing.

For how much people love taking how-to pictures of repairs, and unboxing stuff, seems like someone might have documented it...
Old 07-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Technical Moderator

1. Yes it does.

I don't want to offend you so I'm out of this.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:15 PM

Only one person said that you need a "long-nose" rivet gun, so it's likely that you don't need anything special. Here is a tip I found that may help you if your rivet gun is not long enough. Wings Forum ? View topic - Reaching the Impossible Pop Rivet

The pic in the last post on that thread shows a rivet gun that appears to have a shorter nose than the one you have pictured.

Quick Reply: Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)