"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Turn Signal Canceling Failure Fix: Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 04:14 PM

Brilliant! Thank you for the great write up and pictures.

After playing for a couple minutes to get one part right, it went together with the spring going the right way and works like a champ.

I love this forum.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:01 PM

I'm so glad I found this thread!

Mine went out last weekend, right after my husband replaced the clockspring. Naturally, I assumed he accidentally broke it; as I had accidentally broken the clockspring. (Apparently, turning a disconnected steering wheel around and around is not a good idea. Woops!)

Anyways, I'm going to try to fix it tomorrow. It seems like a very simple fix for such an annoying problem.
& my husband will be happy to save a few bucks as well!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:12 PM

Mine is broken...

First off kudos to all of you who posted about how to do this fix.

Mine did not work at all so I removed it this morning in just a few minutes knowing how from this thread. After reversing my spring I noticed the cam plate would not center and that's when I discovered that the cam plate had broken.

so I'll have to hunt one down, maybe Junkyard or a non OEM.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Technical Moderator

Is there something wrong with eBay?

It's pretty much a basic part. NAPA may even have them.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:57 PM

ACDelco D6254E GM Original Equipment Turn Signal and Headlamp Dimmer Switch

Originally Posted by donbrew
Is there something wrong with eBay?

It's pretty much a basic part. NAPA may even have them.
Nope nuttin wrong with either, but I'm happy with this and free shipping at the Amazon

Amazon.com: ACDelco D6254E GM Original Equipment Turn Signal and Headlamp Dimmer Switch: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco D6254E GM Original Equipment Turn Signal and Headlamp Dimmer Switch: Automotive

$27.11 to my door in two days.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Administrator

That's the one I got when mine malfunctioned, been working fine ever since, about 2 years now!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:45 AM

Replacement switch

Judging from some of the Amazon reviews (apparently some people return their broken part as the original that they decided they didn't want, so I went with Rockauto. About the same price too.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:20 AM

Many years ago, when I swapped my steering wheel for a smaller one, I recall a piece on the left side of the hub falling off. Ever since, my lights don't cancel. But I have learned to prefer it this way. They used to shut off when I turned the wheel a little to change lanes before making a turn, and once I forgot to put the signal back on and got pulled over.

Now, I turn them off when I want to. And, there is a feature on our cars that will notify you if you leave the turn signal on too long.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the write up. Just replaced the wiper switch, the symbols had faded and it wouldn't cancel.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

My '07 HHR with 113K miles finally had the dreaded turn signal cancel fail. How great is it to already know the problem & solution because we belong to the best car forum anywhere!
I did order a new one from Rock Auto less than $30 delivered. Just finished replacing it after looking at Snowhites pic's, took less an an hour. I will now repair the old one for a spare.
Thanks again to CHEVHHR.NETsaved me big money & a trip to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Canceling Failure Fix: Lots of Pics