"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Turn Signal Canceling Failure Fix: Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 AM

My cancel thing is not working either. This is on an 07.. I usually get the ding ding ding to let me know I left the blinker on.. Then I am like aww crap... I am not sure that I could repair it myself.. being disabled sucks.. Thanks for the great write up tho..
Old 07-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks for this! I just got a used 2010 HHR and noticed the problem right away, only it is intermittent. I'm going to undergo this fix this weekend while I'm already in there removing the control covers to repaint.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Augmented78
... only it is intermittent.
That is correct, it was intermittent on my vehicle too.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Video

I tried this and it works great!
I got so excited that I was able to do the repair myself, and saved $50 just on the part, that I made a video, and started my youtube career.

I hope to make more videos in the future, have any suggestions for easy fixes such as this?

Thanks, Garrick
2007 HHR 1LT(purple)
2011 HHR 1LT(white)
Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Good Video

You might want to put in the description just what the fix, fixes – i.e. the symptoms of the problem. AND what the turning of the spring does. Too bad the video can’t get the detail showing the spring and workings of the innards well. I believe that would take an extra good camera and lens that I know I don't have.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by Sno White
You might want to put in the description just what the fix, fixes – i.e. the symptoms of the problem. AND what the turning of the spring does. Too bad the video can’t get the detail showing the spring and workings of the innards well. I believe that would take an extra good camera and lens that I know I don't have.
I will work on these issues, thanks.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:48 AM

Just fixed mine using this guide. Hasn't neglected to auto-cancel since! Props!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Mine doesn't cancel but that is because when I changed the steering wheel I left out the nub. One of these days I am going to put it back, but here in NYC there are a lot of times that I am going to turn, then I move the wheel to avoid something or someone in the street and forgot to use the turn signal again. Got pulled over for it once. So now, I figure it is better to be on then to shut off before I turn.

But, my reason for posting is to ask about another turn signal problem. My turn signal does not activate a left turn unless I hold it down very hard. Started intermittently, then just took a little extra pressure-so I velcroed a heavy bolt to the stalk and it was fine for a while. Now it has progressed, though.

Anybody else have this problem? Right turn stays on, just problem with the left turn.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Mine doesn't cancel but that is because when I changed the steering wheel I left out the nub. One of these days I am going to put it back, but here in NYC there are a lot of times that I am going to turn, then I move the wheel to avoid something or someone in the street and forgot to use the turn signal again. Got pulled over for it once. So now, I figure it is better to be on then to shut off before I turn.

But, my reason for posting is to ask about another turn signal problem. My turn signal does not activate a left turn unless I hold it down very hard. Started intermittently, then just took a little extra pressure-so I velcroed a heavy bolt to the stalk and it was fine for a while. Now it has progressed, though.

Anybody else have this problem? Right turn stays on, just problem with the left turn.
Well, the problem you describe with the turn signal stalk not remaining in the left turn signal position is definitely a problem with the internals of the stalk assembly. You say you have removed the “nub”; I think you are referring to the cloudy white thing in this picture:

If so then you may have created the problem by removing the “nub” – it may play additional functions besides just the canceling actuator.

If not I don’t see how with the replacement of the steering wheel you could have removed anything to affect the turn signal canceling. IIRC the part of the steering shaft that did the canceling was much deeper into the steering column assembly than just removing the steering wheel. A review of the drawings in my 2009 FSM circumspectly confirms my thoughts. However, I do not remember exactly what the internals were like just below the steering wheel. (I believe I removed the steering wheel when I added the radio control buttons – not that I had to, I was just curious.)

I would say you have been having a failing turn signal stalk for some time. I’ve not had to address anything else in the stalk to offer any specific advice in its repair.

I would remove the stalk and test for correct operation as described in the first post and then take appropriate measures, i.e. replace the stalk, try repairing the stalk or if the stalk works fine outside the vehicle look for some foreign object in the steering column.

Good Luck.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:07 PM

I never went near the turn signal stalk, so everything there is factory. But when I changed the steering wheel, there was a piece in it which fell out and I never found it. I believe that is what touches the nub to cancel the turn signal. I have to stop by my local dealer and get a schematic of the set up to see for sure.

That said, I think my stalk is also bad, since the left signal does not stay engaged.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Canceling Failure Fix: Lots of Pics