Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Finally! I put a deposit on an HHR LT2. It may have an issue? Why didn't I ask here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 PM

Finally! I put a deposit on an HHR LT2. It may have an issue? Why didn't I ask here?

I should have came here first before giving money out. Bad Move, I Know!
After looking for almost 6 months, I found a 2008 LT2 and took it for a test drive. I drove all over, around curves with ice on them, drove up a bluff 80mph, drove a back road and it held the road everywhere, and felt great, except when I used the the brakes.
They responded fine, but I felt a slight tremble when I used them. It felt similar to going over rumble strips, but nothing that strong or dramatic. I mentioned it to the sales lady, who was with me, and I showed her how the steering wheel kind of vibrated, but she said didn't feel anything odd.
I asked her to make sure that the brakes were checked. She called me and said that the mechanic told her, that since the HHR hadn't been moved very often that the new tires could have developed flat places, especially with the freezing weather we are having. That if there were still problems with it after I bought it and drove it for a while they would replace the tires. Or, if it was the brakes, they would fix them.
New tires with flat spots is a very new idea to me. I figured I'd check on here to see if anyone had experienced this sensation and would give me their opinions or suggestions.

Thanks for the changes, looking great.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:20 PM

Get the Promises in writing and in clear descriptive English.

Most likely a brake issue and/or a front end parts problem.

You would feel tire flat spots without putting on the brakes and they would round out in a few miles.

SF
Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 PM

Lightbulb There really are flat spots? Wasn't sure.

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Get the Promises in writing and in clear descriptive English.

Most likely a brake issue and/or a front end parts problem.

You would feel tire flat spots without putting on the brakes and they would round out in a few miles.

SF
Thanks for letting me know. I thought the guy was odd.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

It is a 9 year old car, so it could be brakes or worn front end parts. From your description it's probably not a tire issue.
You didn't post the mileage on the car. That would help us to know how "used" this car is.

FWIW. It's a 2LT not a LT2. (LT2 is a GM code number for a V8 engine line )
Old 01-06-2017, 07:32 AM

It has 93,000 miles on it. I wish it was a 1 owner since it's had a few. Here's the link

2008 Chevrolet HHR for sale in La Crosse - 3GNDA33PX8S523935 - Clason Buick GMC
Old 01-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Technical Moderator

The dealer doesn't seem to know anything about the car.

Very rare 2LT without a sunroof and no chrome exhaust tip. If that is the correct VIN it is a LS with a manual trans.

From here it looks like an automatic.

Here is a VIN decoder, look under light trucks.https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/v...-09%20r1.1.pdf

How new/good are the tires on it now; are they 70,000 mile tires?

A mild rumble on braking could be rear brakes.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Hmm , LCA bushings come to mine , improperly adjusted rear brakes and my fav the intermediate steering shaft and all four hubs, need inspection!

As for the tire explanation, that didn't cost them a dime and now that you own it well you own it!
Really a slight judder is normal in these trucklets, most likely just the rear brakes need adjusted.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

I read the ad and was slightly confused. One part says 2.4 engine. Another part says 2.2. Also says 16 inch wheels. I thought all 2LT's came with 17 inch. The 17's were part of the 2LT's upgraded FE3 suspension.

Anyhow. If you'll look at the RPO sticker in the glovebox, there should be a FE3 code listed for the upgraded 2LT package.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Administrator

L61 for 2.2 or LE5 for 2.4.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:38 AM

HM seems like the dealer upselled you!

Quick Reply: Finally! I put a deposit on an HHR LT2. It may have an issue? Why didn't I ask here?