Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Hi, I just signed up!

Old 10-18-2016, 06:21 AM

Hi, I just signed up!

Originally Posted by MWG2
Right on! NEVER let your gas tank get below a 1/4 full. Fine particles that sit on the bottom of your gas tank can get sucked into the engine. ALSO...

NEVER fill up your tank when the gas truck is filling the underground gas station tanks. Many years ago (back when gas was 47 cents a gallon) I worked at the local service station. The owner told me that when the gas trucks fill up the underground gas tanks, it moves dirt and particles that had settled on the bottom of the underground tank. He said they "fly around" that tank when it's being filled and if you are pumping gas, you add all that "junk" (he used a different word) into your car. He said you should wait at least an hour before pumping gas into your car. (Of course if you pulled into the gas station 30 minutes after the gas truck left, you wouldn't know.)

The other suggestion he made (and he was a master mechanic) is to make sure your gas line filter is clean. He changed his regularly.

In 1968, this guy drove a beat-up 1959 Chevy pick up truck that looked like it had been through a war, but when you popped the hood, oh my gosh! You could eat off the engine it was sooooooo clean. I think he changed the air filter and gas filter every other day! The carborator (you youngins' will have to go to WikiPedia to find out what a carborator is) was shinny inside and out; just beautiful. The engine purred like a happy kitty. It was a V-8 with gorgeous Headers, re-worked exhaust and a couple of other items that I don't remember. Anyway, his whole thing was that "dirt kills engines; ya' gotta' keep 'em clean outside and inside."

He was pretty amazing. He could just listen to an engine and tell you what was wrong with it. But the best thing about him was that he was honest. He would NEVER do any work on a car that wasn't needed. And there were some older widow ladies in the area that he would hardly charge anything to work on their car as they were on a fixed income and couldn't afford much. I remember once he told one of these ladies that nothing was wrong with the car except it needed an oil change... what he didn't tell her was that it also needed head gaskets (which he replaced) and the carborator had to be rebuilt. He never told her about it and never charged her fror the work or parts; he only charged her for the oil change, and that was at a huge discount.

Ok...I'm rambling again. Sorry. Have a great day!!
Wish their were more mechanics like that, i finally found one in my town after living here 33 years, and i do need it now more than ever, can't work as many hours as i used to income is about half what it used to be.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, but this is a 9 year old dead thread, I'll move it to introductions