Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New owner of '08 HHR SS in South FL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 PM
X-1

New owner of '08 HHR SS in South FL!!!

Hello everyone! Well, my wife is pissed. She called me a car hoarder! I don't care. I just had to get it! It's a black 2008 HHR SS automatic with black/red interior and I only paid $2000.00 for it from the second owner. It LOOKS (and runs) like it has way less than a 100k miles on it, but it just turned 221,000 on the way home. Clean Carfax and AutoCheck except for a very minor scuffing around the driver's rear side marker from an accident that she never bothered to fix. The high mileage is because the second owner drove from North Palm Beach to South Miami-Dade almost daily for work ever since she got it at 36k miles. A few tiny paint chips here and there (original factory paint) from highway miles, but she really took great care of it mechanically for fear of being stranded. Everything works! The A/C is fffrrreeezing cold and the sound system is awesome. I only have the following issues so far:

1) Before the ride home, I had it lifted up and very quickly checked out at a Tire Kingdom. No leaks. Bearings were fine. Bushings and front suspension were in good shape. I was only told that the axles, steering rack, and rear struts need to be replaced.

2) I have the TPMS warning light on, but they checked and all tires were at 32lbs manually.

Can anyone let me know of a good shop to take it to in Miami or S FL area? I would love an expert's opinion on the vehicle and it's condition.

I already ordered a pair of the DEPO black bezel headlamps and the front SS (white) badge and bracket off a 2010 Camaro. It is missing SS on the front grille! I need the lights to see at night! LOL Yep, wife is sooo pissed! Giving me the side eye... LMAO
Old 03-24-2017, 01:49 AM

to the forums!!

Seems like too good a deal to pass up!

Nose around the SS forums, and make friends with the search window at the top of the page, there's quite a bit of knowledge here.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:37 AM
X-1

Thanks RJ! This forum is AMAZING. I can't stop reading. LOL I have learned a lot so far and I truly look forward to getting to know everyone!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Technical Moderator

Welcome!

I really doubt the rack an axles part, good luck finding axles. Rear shocks don't last long on HHRs.

The TPMS light is on; what about the pressure read out on the DIC? Have you tried the relearn procedure in the Owner Manual? There is a link in my sig if you need one.

Probably a dead battery in one of the wheels.

What I would believe is Lower Control arm bushings, they could present as a bad rack. Bad axles click while slowly turning.

I would look for a repair shop other than a tire store.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! Enjoy that SS
Old 03-24-2017, 08:56 AM
X-1

Thank you Oldblue. I plan to enjoy it for years to come! I LOVE the message of Take a Kid to a Car Show. So important in so many ways and it helps the future of the industry as a by-product. LOVE IT!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Now this show season , do exactly that! It is infectious!!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:11 AM
X-1

Thanks Donbrew!

I hope it's not the rack and axles! I read in the forums somewhere that the axles were on back order for quite some time. I also read about the rear shocks not lasting long on our HHRs.

The DIC shows blank for all tires. I saw the relearn procedure in the Owner's Manual, but I was in a hurry to drive back down to Miami so I just made sure tires were properly filled. I will be doing it today. I have the Owner's Manual, but thanks for the link! I now have one in my laptops, tablet and phone!

I'm hoping it is a dead battery in one of the wheels. I think I read somewhere that some of our TPMS monitors were problematic. Is that so?

There was some clicking and clacking from the front end as I drove off the previous owner's property. Before driving it down, I was going to check it out as I stopped to fuel up and check tires two blocks away when I saw the Tire Kingdom still open. I then thought to ask them to put it on the lift for a better look.

I hope I can find a reliable and reputable shop down here that I can trust with my needs.

My plan now is to make sure drivetrain is in good working order and continue with the preventative maintenance for it. Once that's done, then I'll be doing a complete suspension refresh/upgrade with possible lowering. When it's time for brakes (a year or so from now) I'll do steel-braided lines with EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and Red Stuff pads. THEN come the powerplant upgrades!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Administrator

You want brakes, up grade to Brembo's

Ecotec Parts 12.25 inch Front Brake Kit with Brembo Calipers

Or these,

Ecotec Parts ZZP 14.5 inch Front Brake Kit
Old 03-24-2017, 10:51 AM
X-1

Yes sir! I do that with my 10 year old son and his friends. S FL has all kinds of car shows and club meets year round. I've been taking him to motorsport events and car shows since he was 3. He also helps me when I'm working on my rides. He is hooked!

Quick Reply: New owner of '08 HHR SS in South FL!!!