The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Dexcool class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Founding Member

Dexcool class action lawsuit

FYI to any owners. Click the link for more information.

SERVICE - TO: ALL GENERAL MOTORS DEALERS (EXCLUDING SATURN,
SAAB AND ISUZU)
ATTENTION: SERVICE MANAGER

Subject: Coolant System Class Action Lawsuit Settlement
Message #: WIS20080217

GM SERVICE AND PARTS OPERATIONS
DCS2014
URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: April 2, 2008

Subject: Coolant System Class Action Lawsuit Settlement

To: All General Motors Dealers (excluding Saturn, SAAB
and Isuzu)

Attention: Service Manager

Recently, an agreement was reached to settle multiple class action lawsuits pending around the country relating to a variety of cooling system related issues.

This includes the performance of silicon bead/nylon carrier intake manifold gaskets in certain 1995 through 2004 model year 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 liter engines; alleged deficiencies in the performance of DexCool coolant in those same engines; coolant leaks in 2000 through 2004 model year 3.8 liter engines (RPO L36); and "DexCool sludging" (i.e. coolant system clogging) in 2000 through 2004 model year S-Utilities and pickup trucks.

Given the large size of the vehicle population involved, there will undoubtedly be a substantial amount of interest. Any customer inquiries should be referred to the official web site for settlement administration at http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/.

Inquiring customers can also be referred to the toll free telephone number for the Claims Administrator at 1-866-245-4291.

END OF MESSAGE
GM SERVICE AND PARTS OPERATIONS
Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 PM

I had a Pontiac Montana with the 3.4 V6 and had problems related to the dex-cool antifreeze. We replaced the intake gasket and both head gaskets, then less than 60,000 miles later they went out again, blowing the engine in the process. I'm not one to sue over things like this, as I believe there is way too much of that going on for no reason, other than greed. My solution? We replaced the van with a KIA, which has a history of being a very dependable vehicle. Also, I will not ever buy another GM product with a 3.4 V6. IMO that is better than a lawsuit.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:46 PM

Any info on Canadian course of action would be appreciated. My Father has an '04 Impala with the L36, one of my coworkers has the Grand Prix with the L36, both have had these problems and paid out of pocket for the repairs.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by CrashMan82
Any info on Canadian course of action would be appreciated. My Father has an '04 Impala with the L36, one of my coworkers has the Grand Prix with the L36, both have had these problems and paid out of pocket for the repairs.

Thanks,

Joe
This is for USA only vehicles. Canada would have to go through Canadian courts.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:16 PM

I worked for DriveTime (ugh!) for a few years. They sold hundreds of grand prix's with the 3.1 and each and every one had the manifold leaking problem. More customers had to pay out of pocket for repairs than I could count. Too bad for them. Glad GM is stepping up and even happier that I dont own a car w/a GM V6

Last edited by HipHotRod; 04-02-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: freakin typos!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:26 PM

Does this affect the HHR?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
This is for USA only vehicles. Canada would have to go through Canadian courts.
Yeah I understood that... just wanted to know if anyone knew off hand if anything was in progress here or not.

And no wingfeather, it doesn't have anything to do with the HHR. 2 years too old and 2L too big :)
Old 04-02-2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by CrashMan82

Thanks,

Joe
Hey CrashMan, I think that because this is a lawsuit in the US and against GM Corp and not GM Canada you won't see any similar settlement unless there is a suit already filed in Canadian courts against GM Canada. I think that they will have to come to their own settlement on this issue. GM and GM Canada act fairly independently so this is not likely to affect Canadian owners.

Search around the internet and check to see if a similar case exists in Canada.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 PM

I know this has been beat to death, but how can this only be for certain motors/years? If dex is the problem, would that not cover all motor/gasket related issues with all motors/years that use dex?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by solman98
I know this has been beat to death, but how can this only be for certain motors/years? If dex is the problem, would that not cover all motor/gasket related issues with all motors/years that use dex?
For whatever reason we never saw the "brown muck" in 4 cylinder & 8 cylinder engines. My own personal theory is that if the coolant level got low, for whatever reason, the remaining water/coolant turned to sludge after extended driving. The customer never new it until the light/gage indicated a problem and by then it was too late. But that is just a guess and I have no valid proof to back that up or a reason why it was the 6 cylinder engines only.

Quick Reply: Dexcool class action lawsuit