The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Do you think that the auto engineer's design car's ......

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 03:46 PM

Blue you've had some cool Fords just have to say how awesome it would be to find a showroom mint AMC Eagle and upgrade the peas out of the engine managment, drivetrain & suspension
Old 04-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Administrator

I did an engine swap for a friend , put a 90's 4.0 litre into an '81 Eagle wagon, he sold it two months later, so I don't really know if it was a great improvement
Old 05-04-2015, 07:17 PM

And what's going to happen when the aftermarket like Holley start to sell complete BCM & ECM's that are programable? This is nothing more then the auto market trying to put a strangle hold on repairs. They are just bent because people have learnt how to reflash them and they didn't think it was going to happen.

My only beef with the dealers, is the poor service I have received from 3 different ones. I understand their pricing, but if you can't back it up with customer service, it's not worth a darn IMO. I should never have been able to diagnose an issue on my car in 30 seconds after had been to the same dealer 5 separate times for the same issue.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:21 PM

Back to the original question, um, not directly, is the correct answer. Especially on these pre-BK vehicles. Cost was supreme, and if they could assemble it quicker, that would rule over serviceability.

I was never in the Service side, but I have several friends who were, and they simply were not consulted. So you have what we now own. My service frieds can commierate.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Technical Moderator

Have you ever read the development stories for new models? It is pretty amazing what the top floor guys give the the middle floor guys to work with.

Things like:
Your wheel base must be xxxxx
Your weight must be xxxx
You must use this engine
You must use this drive train
You must use this interior appointment package
You must use this color pallette
It must cost less than xxxx to produce
It must be worth xxxx at the store
It must use sheet metal from xxxx

Other than that, do what you want!

It was, and probably still is so tightly controlled that Virgil Exner at Plymouth had to design cars in a locked up setting so the guys upstairs wouldn't find out what he was doing. A Valiant with a 340 C.I V-8 for God's sake! And 2 inches longer than mandated!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Have you ever read the development stories for new models? It is pretty amazing what the top floor guys give the the middle floor guys to work with.

Things like:
Your wheel base must be xxxxx
Your weight must be xxxx
You must use this engine
You must use this drive train
You must use this interior appointment package
You must use this color pallette
It must cost less than xxxx to produce
It must be worth xxxx at the store
It must use sheet metal from xxxx

Other than that, do what you want!

It was, and probably still is so tightly controlled that Virgil Exner at Plymouth had to design cars in a locked up setting so the guys upstairs wouldn't find out what he was doing. A Valiant with a 340 C.I V-8 for God's sake! And 2 inches longer than mandated!
This was true for the big three, there is very little sales literature on the BB Novas, they were concerned with sales overall as a company, lucky for us, there were car guys on the inside.