The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

How easy is it to break into!!

Old 12-17-2006, 12:08 AM

Angry How easy is it to break into!!

yes, you read that right "how easy is it to break into an HHR?" The only reason I ask is the wife's HHR was broken into tonight at Target.(she was inside for about 5 minutes) They got into the passanger's side door no broken glass, key holes on that side or damage to the doors. Luckly she was paying in the garden section and heard the alarm going off...all she saw was a car driving off and both pass. doors open...thankfully the gifts she had just bought were all still in the back and they didn't get a damn thing.

I guess my question is when is someone going to make those plates that you put on the inside of the door to prevent slim jim's from getting to the unlock mechanism.

end of my rant thank you for reading.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:20 AM

First off, Welcome

I sure am glad the alarm activates off when you open the door. Glad for the not getting your stuff and they did not get the HHR.

I had a rental HHR that the key fob did not work to unlock the doors. I woke the motel up every morning when I got in. Putting the key in the ignition shuts the alarm off. I have thought about adding a motion or bump sensor alarm to complement the HHR alarm.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:50 AM

Well as Tom said to the Site.
My question is this, The alarm that went off was that added on after you purchased the HHr or is that the one that comes with the car. The reason I ask is because I never heard mine ever go off or should I say activated for any reason. I am sorry that yours was broken into but I think we all have just learned something. I do not know how to correct the problem, but You bet your swett Bippy that I will be looking into this. I have a Slim Jim at work that we use all the time and I will see come Monday on how long it will take me to get in. It takes us about 1 min to get into any vehicle.

(We are Law Enforcement Officers). But This really sucks, I guess I should be lucky that mine has not been Broken into as of yet. I park mine on the street I do not have a Garage to put mine into.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:07 AM

Hey Tom, if you haven't accidentally set your alarm off yet, you really need to get it fixed. I don't do it often, but have in the past and hear alarms around the neighborhood all the time during the day! The alarm is standard equipment so there'd be no reason to add an after-market one.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:06 AM

Yukonfff98, if you install/fabricate such a plate, it will be named after you.
("The Yukonfff98 anti-theft plate"). Probably would be a good idea to park in a well lit area, with no packages/gifts visible, especially during this season. Other than that, I don`t think theres any plans in the works to fortify your doors. Next you will need unbreakable glass.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Founding Member

hey yukonfff98, we are neighbors! Where did this happen? I know Hesperia very well. I lived on the Mesa for over 10 years.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:33 AM

My HHR will do the same as the rental if you lock all the doors with the button inside and open the door with the key. or leave your window open, lock the doors with the button. Reach in and pull the knob up and open the door.... As Gomer says "Suprise, Suprise, Suprise!!!" The add on I mentioned would set the same alarm off if you bump the car or they break a window.

I do have the Automatic with remote start.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:31 PM

At the Target in Victorville off of Palmdale road....the wife said she will never go back there again.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Z-Man
Well as Tom said to the Site.
My question is this, The alarm that went off was that added on after you purchased the HHr or is that the one that comes with the car. The reason I ask is because I never heard mine ever go off or should I say activated for any reason. I am sorry that yours was broken into but I think we all have just learned something. I do not know how to correct the problem, but You bet your swett Bippy that I will be looking into this. I have a Slim Jim at work that we use all the time and I will see come Monday on how long it will take me to get in. It takes us about 1 min to get into any vehicle.

(We are Law Enforcement Officers). But This really sucks, I guess I should be lucky that mine has not been Broken into as of yet. I park mine on the street I do not have a Garage to put mine into.
Z-man, when we bought our HHR the dealer offered it as an option...it has the motion/bump sensor that TOM was talking about.