The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Learned a good lesson today (driving in the rain)

Old 06-08-2016, 09:26 AM
Administrator

1/2 thread on my Goodyears they turned very hard and didn't like the wet at all!
I've switched back to BFG and they don't harden up and loose grip like the Goodyears did!
The one set of Michelin's I had weren't much different.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Most of the literature I've seen says 1/2 tread is "worn out".

In fact, on Brit TV Michelin advertises that their tires are just as good on wet roads 1/2 worn as full tread. Indicating that others are not.

One Newer Michelin tire that does just that is the Premier AS.
The rain grooves taper wider as the tire wears down.

Premier A/S tires use an extreme silica and sunflower oil enhanced tread compound to increase traction in wet and cold temperatures. This compound is molded into a symmetric tread design featuring a continuous center rib flanked by notched intermediate ribs and linked shoulder blocks to deliver straight-line tracking and responsive dry-road handling. Michelin EverGrip Technology adds Expanding Rain Grooves around the tire's circumference and Emerging Grooves across the shoulders. As the tire wears, the Expanding Rain Grooves widen while Emerging Grooves open up across each shoulder block to help retain more traction in wet and wintry conditions.

Michelin set their sights on being #1 in Grand Touring All-Season, and has aptly named their latest.

The Premier A/S delivers long wear and a smooth ride while also emphasizing wet traction -- not just when new, but through the tire's life when wet performance typically falls off vs. a new tire.

SF
Old 07-16-2016, 07:19 PM

Ya I think my tires don't to good in the rain to begin with because the previous owner evean warned me that the hhr doesn't handle well in the ran and its probably because of the tires. I also have a mismatched tire in the right front.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Yeah, you need to address that , get a new set of tires.
Mismatched brands and thread patterns are hazardous!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:08 AM

This first happened to when I was a kid, driving my 73 Pontiac Gran Am coupe with bias ply tiger paws. The car just swapped ends for no reason, well streight forward hydroplaned, on the interstate. Scared the shirt off me but hey I wound up correcting it and kept going.
First time in a fwd car was worse, driving my 87 Chevy Eurosport wagon which handled ok but not on a wet new blacktop curve with slight down grade. Kinda helpless feeling because fwd cars can be unpredictable with the understeer.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:59 AM

In the late fall and winter months I run 30psi cold in the front and 26psi cold in the rear with 16" steelies. I have been able to get by @ 26psi without triggering the TPMS as long as you set the pressure with the tire cold and with the outside temp around 30 degrees for this area..
Why would you put 30-32psi in the rears when there is an obvious difference in pounds per square inch from front to rear not counting what happens on slick surfaces when you apply the brakes that are Front disc and Rear drums.
I only run tires that have at least 75% original tread to start the season.

Currently I am running a new set of 205/60R/16 Michelin Ice 3 in place of studded tires which I dislike with a passion. Because it is generally flat country here I do not have any issues getting around in the snow and ice and heavy rain and the tires run quiet and smooth.
A spin out can be a hard way to learn a very important serious lesson.

SF