The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Lumina Problem / General Car Problem: Surging Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:52 AM

I would check for an upper intake vacuum leak. My Cavalier 3.1 V6 had this problem. The tech replaced the upper intake gasket (about 30 minutes) and the car ran fine after that.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Yeah, I'm going to put some premium in from a good brand (probably Shell). Don't know if their gas is any better than Kroger, but who knows... I'm not driving very fuel efficiently either, so I can use it up a little faster... I'm going to hope that's what it is, since like I said the gas is 5-6 weeks old.
5-6 week old gas should not be a problems unless maybe its got moisture in it. so a fresh tank of gas is not a bad idea, but don't waste your money on premium. The car isn't designed for it and can't take advantage of it. Start with the simple and cheap things, like looking for vacuum leaks and cleaning the throttle body. You've already done the fuel filter so that is very unlikely.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 AM

I wouldn't think it's the intake gasket... I had that fixed in '07.

It doesn't seem like a rhythmic sputter, it's more random. Now today driving to school it only did it once or twice the whole drive, both times during acceleration.

As for the gas, premium is only $3 more a tank...worth it in my opinion. I know my truck runs better on it anyways. I wouldn't think the gas would have moisture in it, but who knows. The car has been parked in a pole barn for the last 6 weeks, and with no gas stabilizer who knows...
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Since you indicate that it seems to idle fine there may be a fuel delivery problem under load.Take a fuel sample back by the gas tank to see if there's any water or other contaminants in the gas.If so,the problem's in the tank and a cleanout along with another new fuel filter is in order.
Alternatively,check for a bad plug or plug wire(s).
Old 04-08-2010, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't think it's the intake gasket... I had that fixed in '07.

It doesn't seem like a rhythmic sputter, it's more random. Now today driving to school it only did it once or twice the whole drive, both times during acceleration.

As for the gas, premium is only $3 more a tank...worth it in my opinion. I know my truck runs better on it anyways. I wouldn't think the gas would have moisture in it, but who knows. The car has been parked in a pole barn for the last 6 weeks, and with no gas stabilizer who knows...
It's not the lower intake gasket. It's the upper intake gasket. Worth checking imho.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 PM

IF the plug wires are more then three years old its the wires!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by oneton
IF the plug wires are more then three years old its the wires!
Not ruling this out as a possiblity, but how does age play a factor in this? I've seen plenty of wires >3yrs old that are perfectly fine.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:04 PM

Driving around town today seemed fine so far... I'm heading home soon, will take 475. See how it does again on the expressway.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Now this afternoon it didn't do it at all......
Old 04-08-2010, 07:06 PM

Now this afternoon it didn't do it at all......
Are you sure your not thinking it has a 3.1 turbo?

Quick Reply: Lumina Problem / General Car Problem: Surging Engine