The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Noises

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:03 AM

Question Noises

I have questions about my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I hear a 'helicopter' sound going at highway speeds, and a loud humming which I figure may be coming from the tire tread hitting the road (they are not brand new, but they are not all-season), I hear the same humming on other vehicles that have the 'heavy' tire tread. I checked the tread wear, inflation, (not over/under inflated), and it doesn't make any particular noise while making turns. I gave it a quick once-over but couldn't come up with anything. I take it in to the dealer at 1:00 p.m. today (I live in PA), so in about 6 hours it will be there. Any ideas I may have missed? I Do Not want it to be something that is now covered with the warranty, & find out After when it is to late. I don't think it is a wheel bearing, alignment, the differentials, or things like that. Any suggestions I can take with me for them to check? I know this is the HHR forum, which I still hope I can count on you guys to help me since you were so helpful to me when I had the HHR. I am only asking here because you are the most knowledgeable guys I know in any forum! Thanks!
P.S. I am getting the rotors cut because of the vibration I am feeling, which I thought was because I wasn't used to the ABS, but was told that kind of vibration was abnormal. So that is another thing I can rule out.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM

This will be no help to you at all its just my story.

In the early ‘70’s I used to own a ‘47 CJ-MB-2A. It came with a set of 16.5 wheels with probably the original set of genuine 18 ply military lug tires on it.

I did not realize that there was no air in the tires for the first few months of driving it. The 18 ply tires were so stiff they showed no ‘low tire’ bulge at the bottom when the jeep was sitting still.

When I finally did check the air pressure I was really surprised when the stem on my tire gauge did not come out at all.

Of course it was winter time when I first got the jeep and there were some problems getting the title squared away so I could license it but it did have a homebrew snow plow and I did a lot of snow removal around town with it before I got the plates on it.

It might be because I had been running around on empty tires or it might have just been the age of the tires but by the next fall I needed some new ones.

16.5 military lug tires were very expensive so I cut the center out of the original Jeep wheels and welded them inside some more commonly available 15” Chevy rims intended for tubeless tires. This allowed me to use much less expensive tires.

Of course the ‘47 Willis was not exactly new when I got it and I don’t think it was ever exactly a quiet machine. With a tad more modern mud and snow tire on it with proper inflation it was a lot quieter than it had been before at highway speed.

I could run right along, in high gear high range, at 50 mph {pretty much its top speed} and still hear the AM radio over the din.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
This will be no help to you at all its just my story.

In the early ‘70’s I used to own a ‘47 CJ-MB-2A. It came with a set of 16.5 wheels with probably the original set of genuine 18 ply military lug tires on it.

I did not realize that there was no air in the tires for the first few months of driving it. The 18 ply tires were so stiff they showed no ‘low tire’ bulge at the bottom when the jeep was sitting still.

When I finally did check the air pressure I was really surprised when the stem on my tire gauge did not come out at all.

Of course it was winter time when I first got the jeep and there were some problems getting the title squared away so I could license it but it did have a homebrew snow plow and I did a lot of snow removal around town with it before I got the plates on it.

It might be because I had been running around on empty tires or it might have just been the age of the tires but by the next fall I needed some new ones.

16.5 military lug tires were very expensive so I cut the center out of the original Jeep wheels and welded them inside some more commonly available 15” Chevy rims intended for tubeless tires. This allowed me to use much less expensive tires.

Of course the ‘47 Willis was not exactly new when I got it and I don’t think it was ever exactly a quiet machine. With a tad more modern mud and snow tire on it with proper inflation it was a lot quieter than it had been before at highway speed.

I could run right along, in high gear high range, at 50 mph {pretty much its top speed} and still hear the AM radio over the din.
Thanks for your story. I just checked the tire pressure & got them all to match the same pressure all around, but still had the noise. But like I said, that was an interesting story & I appreciate it that you shared it with me.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Deceased

It sounds like you have a "cupped" tire somewhere, have them check the treads when its on the lift. A tire with a cupped tread will give you that helicopter like "whuppa whuppa" noise, unfortunately once a tire gets that wear pattern(usually caused by worn out shocks allowing the tire to bounce), they either need replaced...or you can choose to live with the noise till they wear out.

Also replace the shocks when the tires are replaced or you'll just wear the new tires into the same cupped wear pattern eventually.