The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

OK so I'm a sell out

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM

OK so I'm a sell out

My wife got all ticked off because we have been without a car for so long so she went and bought a '05 PT Cruiser.

if this works there will be pictures.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...75364442_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...1b&oe=543E2B79

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...a6e4e37532cd22

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...14316923_n.jpg

Ok no pictures just what may be links to my face book pictures.

It's a GT convertible with the 3.4 Turbo and an automatic. It has 72,700 on the odometer. We got it pretty cheap but naturally after we already bought it with no warrantee discovered the air don't work. Haven't gotten her to let it sit still long enough to really look at it. Just dumped a few cans of Freon in then later a can of air conditioner stop leak.

None of this helped much. While there is Freon in it, it cools like a ***** could keep fresh fish in there, unfortunately it doesn't take long and the Freon is gone.

The replacement engine for the HHR finally got here Tuesday and the mechanic said he will start on it today. Hopefully he will finish the job in a week or so. No guarantee on that though. {but I got my appendages crossed}
Old 07-23-2014, 02:40 PM

Don't wanna see no pictures of no PT Cruiser!

[QUOTE=Grizzly old man;753639]My wife got all ticked off because we have been without a car for so long so she went and bought a '05 PT Cruiser.

Last edited by Blue Beast (aka Boydie); 07-24-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

Guessing you meant to say 2.4 instead of 3.4.

Either way, it's still a PT Loser.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Nice color, to bad that turbo doesn't have much power.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 AM

It may be a pt but it's still a convertible. Looks good.

As a former Chrysler tech my guess would be that the evaporator is leaking.
It was common on these. Sorry hope I'm wrong.

I love my hhr but I still have a soft spot for the pt cruisers.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 AM

Back when the PT Cruiser first came out we went and took one for a test drive. That one was a base model without turbo and not a convertible. I was not exactly overwhelmed with the little buggy. My wife wanted one NOW!

The cars were so popular you couldn't just buy one. You had to put down a deposit then have your name put on a list and then wait until such time as the supply caught up with the demand.

After about 9 months we gave up and bought our Grand Am.

Over the years my wife still wanted a Cruiser, with the HHR still in the shop waiting for the engine to be delivered we were both sick and tired of having to mooch rides from friends and stuff so we went ahead and got the convertible.

The engine is finally here so hopefully in a short while it will be installed and I'll have my car back.

And yes the PT Cruiser has a 2.4L engine. Not real sure why I keep thinking its a 3.4.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
It may be a pt but it's still a convertible. Looks good.

As a former Chrysler tech my guess would be that the evaporator is leaking.
It was common on these. Sorry hope I'm wrong.

I love my hhr but I still have a soft spot for the pt cruisers.
Evaporator or condenser? I've fixed three PTs over the last couple of years that had leaking condensers.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 PM

Condensers do fail but I have replaced far more evaporators.

I remember talking to the Chrysler engineers about leaking evaporators and they stated that the problem was they needed to make the evaporators out of thinner metals to increase the number of tubes in the evaporator so the r134 would cool properly.

Sadly the thiner metals would crack and leak over time.

Condensers do fail they are exposed to all the road debris but they are made from thicker metal to combat that.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 AM

I've had a little more time to look at it and can see where the air conditioner stop leak I put in has come out the compressor itself. I have an appointment to have it looked at this coming Monday.

I've taken the dash out of a few of the newer cars to replace the condenser and two to replace leaking heater cores. Its no fun and if that is what needs to be done I will let them do it.

I'd probably be a month doing it and when I would get it done the dash would creak and moan a lot I'm sure.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzly old man
I've had a little more time to look at it and can see where the air conditioner stop leak I put in has come out the compressor itself. I have an appointment to have it looked at this coming Monday.

I've taken the dash out of a few of the newer cars to replace the condenser and two to replace leaking heater cores. Its no fun and if that is what needs to be done I will let them do it.

I'd probably be a month doing it and when I would get it done the dash would creak and moan a lot I'm sure.
Make sure you tell them the system has stop leak in it. That stuff causes problems in their expensive recovery machinery.

Quick Reply: OK so I'm a sell out