The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

PC security...best software?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:13 AM

PC security...best software?

What's the best software for home PC security? We've only used norton products since our first computer purchase in 2000. Seems to keep the bad ju ju away, but can be a pain at times. It's time to renew or get something different soon, just wondering what is best. Also, is it better to download or purchase a retail package? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 AM

In my opinion, most broadband providers provide a good security package with their service. I have two computers...one at my house and one at my boyfriends and both providers provide more than adequate protection.

My home computers service is provided by Qwest and they have what they call One Care and I haven't had any issues with viruses or anything since I've had it. My other computer has service provided by Comcast and it comes with McAfee as part of their subscriber fees and no problems there either.

I am sure that there are about as many opinions on PC security as there are on the type of oil to use and how often to change it, so I'm sure you'll get a wide variety of opinions.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Jeff, we use AVG free software. http://free.grisoft.com/
After our Norton expired my son set this AVG up for us. I've been running it for a couple years but I also try to watch what sites I go to. I have it on my laptop, wife has it on laptop and pc and son has it on 3-4 of his units.

I've heard from a few people that McAfee isn't that good.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:10 AM

I continue to use Norton. This year I upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2008. But it's a pain when Browsing on an old XP 1.8G Pentium 4 Desktop w/ 2G RAM. When you open a page, everything seems to freeze for a couple of seconds (Norton scanning for a mal website?). Takes longer to do live updates compared to what I was previously using - Norton Antivirus 2002.

But on the Lap top which is a dualcore w/Vista, I don't seem to notice it as much.

If I had to do it all over again on the older PC's I'd look for freeware that doesn't seem to hog resources

My
Old 12-14-2007, 11:14 AM

Check out our Web site and dance the Tango. We are the longest running computer talk show in the nation. They are all free programs and work GREAT. I've been using them in our computer shop for years.

www.soundbytes.org
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Banned

Avast home edition

best hands down and free.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM

I'm with Courthousedeb--my DSL service, ATT/Yahoo has free/included anti-virus (ironically, it is Norton). So yes, I would check with your service provider to see if they offer something free.

Other then that, I have only used Norton.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM

I've always used Norton Anti-Virus. I keep it updated. I don't have all the bells and whistles, just plain old anti-virus. I also use Microsoft Windows Defender because it's free.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:46 PM

I have found that Norton is a PITA. I used to be a big fan of theirs too. I use AVG, Spybot, and Spywareblaster. Norton is a chore to uninstall. You have to go to their website to download the uninstaller. I recently had the pleasure of rescuing a friends laptop after he tried to install AVG over top of Norton. That was a little too interesting, but I got it done and on the first scan AVG found a virus that Norton had missed.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:58 PM

AVG free here never had a problem

Quick Reply: PC security...best software?