The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Unfortunate accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:39 AM

The chrome was an option on the 1LT's. But since you have a factory chrome grill, I'd push for that replacement. Probably easier and cheaper to find over the satin finish.

Here is a different version of the black one above, I just went a different route with it.

Name:  newgrill-1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  86.9 KB

It's was strong, but still didn't fair too well in my accident.

Name:  totaled.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  117.1 KB
Old 01-25-2017, 02:25 PM

Hey Solman98,

I have always liked your grille. I am sorry it got damaged through your accident as I saw your "How to" post of it. It seemed like you put alot of time into it.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:32 AM

Yea, I did spend a lot of time on it. Gone in a fraction of a second.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I have never figured out the chrome situation.

Need a radiator? Not condenser?

I don't think the price difference in the grilles is enough for the adjuster to argue about.

If the car in front stopped for no reason it is their fault, not yours. I have had that situation 2-3 times. Were you cited?
In Wisconsin, if you hit the vehicle in front of you, it is 100% your fault as you are supposed to maintain a safe distance. The exceptions would be if a vehicle coming from a side road ran a stop sign or light, a vehicle coming the opposite direction struck the other vehicle or if the vehicle you hit didn't have operable brake lights.

You can probably find a hood in the correct color in a salvage yard. Many are being scrapped because of rusted fuel and brake lines. Any HHR hit in the rear is likely to be a total loss due to the high cost of repair and low value of the vehicle.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Don06
In Wisconsin, if you hit the vehicle in front of you, it is 100% your fault as you are supposed to maintain a safe distance. The exceptions would be if a vehicle coming from a side road ran a stop sign or light, a vehicle coming the opposite direction struck the other vehicle or if the vehicle you hit didn't have operable brake lights.

You can probably find a hood in the correct color in a salvage yard. Many are being scrapped because of rusted fuel and brake lines. Any HHR hit in the rear is likely to be a total loss due to the high cost of repair and low value of the vehicle.
HHR 2.0 - like Don06 said, it is a "failure to maintain safe following distance" situation and absolutely your fault (sorry!) unless the vehicle was IN REVERSE and hit you while moving. I have gone through the same thing with a different vehicle and found out the hard way. I know that in CA, FL and AL at least, the law is similar and the person in the rear is ALWAYS at fault, legally.

As to the hood, I am finding parts cars on Craig's List and hoods on eBay for pretty darn good prices. The tough part is paint (unless you can find one already painted the right color. Any car that was rear-ended or t-boned could still have an intact hood.

BTW, in answer to your previous question, my replacement grille is quite sturdy and although ABS plastic, it is very hard. The chrome version looks pretty sweet if that fits your color-scheme.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
HHR 2.0 - like Don06 said, it is a "failure to maintain safe following distance" situation and absolutely your fault (sorry!) unless the vehicle was IN REVERSE and hit you while moving. I have gone through the same thing with a different vehicle and found out the hard way. I know that in CA, FL and AL at least, the law is similar and the person in the rear is ALWAYS at fault, legally.

As to the hood, I am finding parts cars on Craig's List and hoods on eBay for pretty darn good prices. The tough part is paint (unless you can find one already painted the right color. Any car that was rear-ended or t-boned could still have an intact hood.

BTW, in answer to your previous question, my replacement grille is quite sturdy and although ABS plastic, it is very hard. The chrome version looks pretty sweet if that fits your color-scheme.
Hey Casa Del Gatos,

Yes I understand. I accepted it from the beginning, just had a doubt about that one part. Nope, no parts needed. I have full coverage insurance so my car got repaired. I've had it for over a week now and it looks as if It was never in an accident. the only thing missing is my Chevrolet script grille decal. Ok, thanks for the info. I decided on my plans but need to decide on which version of grille I want. Thanks for the response
Old 02-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Technical Moderator

I had a driver up and try to make an illegal right turn, I rear ended him, he got a ticket.
I had a driver stop in an intersection on a green light, I rear ended her and was found "not at fault".

It is possible.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I had a driver up and try to make an illegal right turn, I rear ended him, he got a ticket.
I had a driver stop in an intersection on a green light, I rear ended her and was found "not at fault".

It is possible.
Incase I ever encounter that in the future, did you call the police to verify or did you explain it to the insurance?
Old 02-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Technical Moderator

CIA security police witnessed one stopped in the intersection at the entrance to CIA headquarters. They were my witnesses when the woman tried to sue me.

Police were called to the illegal turn, it was on a parkway with service lanes, he up and stopped from 45 MPH to make a 90 degree right turn exactly at the NO TURNS sign.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:15 AM

Man you guys make me feel lucky about my accident; there is a thread already about it but long story short the lady rear ended me on a two lane highway in stop and go traffic; I had my rental car and repair center set up before I even left the scene, and didn't even have to go through my insurance nor did I give her my insurance info.

Quick Reply: Unfortunate accident