The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Wood Planer Help In Philadelphia Suburbs

Old 03-14-2009, 06:41 PM

Smile Wood Planer Help In Philadelphia Suburbs

I have an old desk top (roughly 36x48) that I need to have planed. Can anyone help with some advice on who offers this service? I really don't want to buy a machine, and i'm not talented enough with a hand plane to accurately do it. Was hoping there might be someone out there who has access to a planer, for a nominal fee, help me out.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Rent one at a rental shop??
Old 03-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Better yet. Try your local High School. Most have an excellent Woodshop program and have a big enough planer to do the job. Not sure about schools there in Penn. but here in Texas, the kids would jump at the chance to do something like that.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Banned

Cabinet shop. 36 inches is too big for anything but a high production cabinet for furniture shop. Even then I think you're going to have a hard time finding someone with a large enough planer.

Why do you need to plane the top? If it's just finish stains or scratches, you can use a belt sander to clean up the top.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:08 AM

From your description, it sounds like you don't have the original desk to go with it. If you did I'd suggest you try to keep everything as original as possible or at least use some of the nice professional restoring products out there.

Assuming you just have the top, I'd go along with the cabinet shop or BOCES, high school shop ideas. Also, try a local factory that produces plywood or something like that - they might do it for you. Typical home planers are only for pieces about 12-14" wide.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

A couple of suggestions but, it really depends ON WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH.

So, what is your intent? Does the desk top have gouges you are trying to eliminate? Does it have the dreaded wave from warpage or has someone taken a belt sander to it and not know what they were doing? Do you just wish to refinish it?

If the desk has some REAL antique worth, as suggested by AJochum, then I would seriously consider NOT "cutting" any of the wood. This would diminish the value. Check with a couple of furniture restorers for cost....they are not that expensive.

Also as suggested, you will not find a planer to accommodate the size you have stated...sans, an industrial shop, cabinet shop, etc. And the top would need to be completely removed for this application.

There are small hand planers, that look much like a belt sander, that work for small applications. You need to know how to use it properly, for the best results. They are probably rent-able thru Home Depot and such stores.

There is industrial barrel sanders (some up to 4 feet wide) found in the cabinet and furniture manufacturer arena. This would work well for the top warpage, but the top would need to be completely removed to feed through this equipment. Do not allow to much sanding.

If the desk only requires restoring..... It will depend on what type of finish was employed. Natural finishes usually require only a replenishment of oils. Something like several coats of Kramers, which is found in GOOD antique stores, works well.

If someone re-polyed the top, IMO, it will take a good deal of work it chemical strippers.

If it's a natural shellac or varnish, several applications of HD alcohol and a lot of rags will work well to remove the finish. You would then need to re-coat/seal the top.

I do some antique furniture restoration.

Good Luck.....
Old 03-16-2009, 08:44 AM

thanks

Thanks for all your ideas. I'll look into them.

I received this desk from my grandmother. Based on her knowledge of it, it was built in the 20's by a young guy learning/apprentacing for a furniture builder. The quality is very good. he put about 5 coats of shelack on it, which was easily removed. However, my grandmother kept it in storage for the past 20 years. While in storage the top warped badly. 4 panels 3/4" thick make up the top. I was going to try and seperate them, but was afraid of damaging it further.

Jeff
Old 03-17-2009, 05:22 AM

Another suggestion. Belt sander... palm snder... refinish... glass top.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:51 AM

Jeff - Why not post a picture of it for us to see? Depending on the quality, it might help in our advice to you. There are plenty of cabinet shops that can make you a new top out of the same kind of wood, and after the restoration is done, you would have a far better piece. But - if the desk is extrarordinary, you may want to leave it intact, and if so, it would be worth having it done professionally.

On the other hand, you can do it yourself and it is a great experience and a labor of love - one in which you could be very proud of your final accomplishment. Over the years, I've done many pieces and receive a lot of compliments on them.