Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

15,000 Mile Checkup. Needed or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:39 AM

15,000 Mile Checkup. Needed or Not?

Hey guys. The dealer keeps on sending me things to come in and have my 15k mile service appointment taken care of. I had my wife look through the book yesterday when we were on a drive and she couldn't find where it said to actually have things done at certain intervals (i swear it was in there).

So, is this needed, or is the dealer just trying to get more of my money? I already rotate the tires every 5k, oil changes on a normal basis, etc. What would they be looking for? My dad is a car guy, so if it is something small we can take care of together, I might as well do it around T-day, and not pay the dealer.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 AM

Well you could, if you like giving the dealer some $$ & making you sit & wait around to be bored while your HHR is being serviced. For me, I dont bother, unless its a big thing that i cannot repair/fix.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:46 AM

I get e-mails from the dealer evry month about "specials"..This month is an oil change tire rotation ( I did oil change 300 miles ago and new tires last month). The next one was cooling flush and fluid fill $99. Not required until 100K miles. Since the dealers aren't selling cars, they need to make money from some where.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 AM

yeah, i didn't know what else would be required or good to do at 15k. something i don't know about etc. most of my cars have been out of warranty when I've gotten them, this is the first new one.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

you bring up a good point..Ive heard this alot from all the people I tow..I agree about the the dealerships needing cash but there is one thing people take for granted because of the "never happen to me sindrome"most have this affliction..you need not take it to a dealership but atleast a QUALIFIED person(the guy at the end of the street that works on cars in his driveway in exchange for weed and beer need not be your first choice)if the vehicle was new its not a bad idea to check to see if things are still tight..wires in correct place not wearing through sumwere..no minor leaks..hey how bout if all taillights still work..i see all kinds of people with brake lights,running lights out all the time..howd you know??they are behind you??sounds dumb but i see hundreds a day..being one personally that has removed cars from accident scenes with bodies still in them(yes!!)and the thousands of people that stand on the side of the road with that big letter L on there head..all because of sumthin stupid...I tow ALL KINDS of BRAND NEW CARS...hear the same thing all the time..its only got xxxx amount of miles on it!!
when i go to the dealers with the car..9 times out of 10..nuthin major..wire came off..rubbed on sumthin grounded out..sumthin came off..bolts fell out..
your choice...truckers do inspections daily..cuts down on repair costs and oh yea ..SAFETY???new cars burn just like the old ones do...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM

very good points.

sounds like i don't need to be going to the dealer but will be giving it a thorough checkup with my dad at the end of the month. He worked for Buick for 33 years so he knows a thing or 2 about cars. Will most likely need another tire rotation anyways.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM

The 15,000 mile inspection is just to bring in buisness to the dealers.

They for the most part only do very minor inspections on things that most untrained mechanics can do.

In the past cars cars had so many more needs that a 15,000 mile inspection was of a little more benefit. today cars require much less car over its life and even less at low mileage.

If you have the money and want the piece of mind then do it but if you pass you will not be left along the road or voiding a warranty.

I have not looked but often what they recomend being checked at the mileage is in you glove box paperwork. Most often the most important thing at this point is tire pressure and lubing door hinges and the like.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:48 PM

Maintenance

In the owners manual look under "Maintenance Schedule" for the 06 it is section 6 not sure if it is the same for 08. Could not find any items at 15k. As you state rotating tires would be one of them, some recommend rotation every 5k.

Originally Posted by twistrman
very good points.
sounds like i don't need to be going to the dealer but will be giving it a thorough checkup with my dad at the end of the month. He worked for Buick for 33 years so he knows a thing or 2 about cars. Will most likely need another tire rotation anyways.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by unique_w
In the owners manual look under "Maintenance Schedule" for the 06 it is section 6 not sure if it is the same for 08. Could not find any items at 15k. As you state rotating tires would be one of them, some recommend rotation every 5k.
And while rotating the tires, check their air pressure. & I ALWAYS check the brakes, & for brake fluid leaks, look at the struts & shocks for any leaks, any thing look like it's falling off & or not right, etc....

As was mentioned: Check All your lights & etc.. All the Fluids under the hood.

I like to check my spare tire for 60 lbs of air, & check battery connections etc, while Ur in there.

I'm sure between your Dad & you, it'll get a good going over.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 PM

Dont give your $$ away to the stealership. If your not up to it, find a friend who is somewhat mechanically inclined and ask for help, its not a big deal at 15k.

Quick Reply: 15,000 Mile Checkup. Needed or Not?