Chevy HHR Network Forums
Search

Welcome to the Chevy HHR Network forums. The Chevy HHR Network is the leading resource for Chevy HHR owners.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Register Forgot Password?

Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Premium Member

Member #: 56787
Check out my gallery 
Brakes?

Every once in a while the brakes (4 wheel disks) feel spongy and the "watch for ice" or "traction control" light comes on.

Otherwise the brakes have good pedal and stopping power.

It is an '09 SS with only 11,500 miles and sat for at least 3 years. I am thinking I should have them bled.

Any suggestions?

Boydie

Gray Lady 2008 LT Panel 100,750 Miles

Last edited by Boydie; 11-13-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Boydie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

Member #: 13699
Check out my gallery 
I'm thinking you should inspect them and the bearings. The warning would be generated by one of the wheels turning faster than the others, or the computer thinking that. I believe that the rear disc brakes need adjusting, normal use of the E-brake should keep them adjusted.

NO MAN THAT'S GOT A GOOD * CAR NEEDS NO * * REDEEMIN'!
donbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Member #: 5120
Check out my gallery 
Rear disc brakes adjustable???
Old 11-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #4

Member #: 5120
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
Every once in a while the brakes (4 wheel disks) feel spongy and the "watch for ice" or "traction control" light comes on.

Otherwise the brakes have good pedal and stopping power.

It is an '09 SS with only 11,500 miles and sat for at least 3 years. I am thinking I should have them bled.

Any suggestions?

Boydie
You may have a wheel speed sensor starting to fail or has a big air gap between the tone wheel and the sensor. If one of the sensors is reading lower than others the traction control will think the wheel is slipping. The traction control uses the abs system to direct power to the non shipping wheel which would explain the intermittent brake pedal drop. In the 90s gm wheel speed sensors would get a larger air gap because of rust build up between the sensor and the mounting and it would raise the sensor just enough to increase the air gap then the sensor would read 0 at low speeds. It would not set a code because the sensor worked as speed increased. I' have not had that problem with the hhr but it was common on all gm full size trucks with the speed sensor mounted on the wheel bearing.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

Member #: 13699
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Rear disc brakes adjustable???
All the books seem to say that you must use the E-brake in order to keep the rear disc brakes adjusted, I read that as: yes, they are adjustable. I only know what I read regarding rear disc brakes, never had 'em.

I just did a real quick check of Mitchell onDemand, it says that the park brake is integral to the caliper and there are integral non-replaceable seal in the caliper. On the front calipers the internal "square cut" seals are also the piston return springs, so I am making a leap that the rear has a different return mechanism involving the E-brake.

I am too tired at the moment to dig up Owner Manuals and in depth service manuals. Plus since I don't have 'em .........

NO MAN THAT'S GOT A GOOD * CAR NEEDS NO * * REDEEMIN'!
donbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
Premium Member

Member #: 18078
Check out my gallery 
Ok. I may be wrong but I thought the "watch for ice" or "ice possible" was only triggered by the outside temperature reading. The few times I've seen mine come on was when the temperature was at or below 32 degrees. And we only get a handful of those cold days down South here where I live.

2010 HHR SS, 5spd, LSD, Brembos
TTR rear sway bar
TTR front mount
GM Turbo Upgrade
Forge Motorsports BPV
Pedders Sportsryder springs
Flowmaster HP2 Shorty
firemangeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
Yup, you'll get the "Ice Possible" warning on the DIC when the ambient temp sensor reads 32 degrees or lower, us Southerners are not used to seeing it often.

This week we will, tonight's low in Charlotte is forecast to hit 24-26, tomorrow night we're supposed to hit 18-20 degrees......Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Premium Member

Member #: 56787
Check out my gallery 

It was below 32 and perhaps a coincidence with the ice reading thing. I never use the ebrake but I am going to start.

Thanks everyone.

Boydie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemangeorge View Post
Ok. I may be wrong but I thought the "watch for ice" or "ice possible" was only triggered by the outside temperature reading. The few times I've seen mine come on was when the temperature was at or below 32 degrees. And we only get a handful of those cold days down South here where I live.

Gray Lady 2008 LT Panel 100,750 Miles
Boydie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Member #: 2558
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
It was below 32 and perhaps a coincidence with the ice reading thing. I never use the ebrake but I am going to start.

Thanks everyone.

Boydie.
I wouldn't leave the E-Brake on overnight parked outside.. If it gets wet it could freeze pads to rotors..

..........2008 HHR Panel 2LT "Southern Edition"..........
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Administrator

Member #: 21740
Check out my gallery 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper View Post
I wouldn't leave the E-Brake on overnight parked outside.. If it gets wet it could freeze pads to rotors..
Good point sleeper!

Been there done that, and it sucks waiting for them to thaw or having to thaw them out with a heat gun/propane torch.

I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives. - Billy Connolly
843de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 AM

submit to reddit