Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Change oil soon reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:45 PM

Change oil soon reset

Hello all.
Dont know if this has been posted before, but here goes.
Had my oil changed and they did not reset the change oil soon message. I got the manual out and tried to reset it just like the book said. It would not reset no matter what i did. Went to the chevy dealer here in town and found one of the mechanics. He said some of them wont reset like the book said. He said just turn the switch on but dont start it, then mash the gas peddle all the way to the floor 3 times real quick. Turn the switch off then start the car. It worked. Reset it to 100% oil life. Wonder why they did not put that in the manual.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Founding Member

I'm interested in knowing what method you tried before you learned of the 3 pump method.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 PM

I know the three pump method from doing it on my 2005 GTO. As you both acknowlege, it also works on the HHR but the method in the HHR manual is different. I know it involves resetting it through the DIC but the three pump method is so much easier.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 PM

i tried holding down the info and reset button while turning the switch on, i tried turning the switch on and then holding the info and reset down. i tried holding down the info and reset button down and cranking the car, nothing worked.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Reread your owners manual.Your try was close but not right. Ex. Key to on position,don't start. Push both buttons togeather:don't hold down.Scroll to oil life reset. Then push and hold reset(Bottom button) Think I said it right.
Changed my oil this morning and reset mine no problem.
If I didn't say this just right someone else will correct me.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by db/sb
I know the three pump method from doing it on my 2005 GTO. As you both acknowlege, it also works on the HHR but the method in the HHR manual is different. I know it involves resetting it through the DIC but the three pump method is so much easier.
My wifeys' Mopar re-sets with the 3 pumps of the Go-Pedal...
Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Reread your owners manual.Your try was close but not right. Ex. Key to on position,don't start. Push both buttons togeather:don't hold down.Scroll to oil life reset. Then push and hold reset(Bottom button) Think I said it right.
Changed my oil this morning and reset mine no problem.
If I didn't say this just right someone else will correct me.
That's correct except the last step after that is to turn the key to 'lock' before turning it back on. That's how it is in the HHR manual. (Pg. 5-17 in the 2006 manual). The 'three pump' method is somewhat of a generic/default reset method and seems work in many vehicles. Kind of like control/alt/delete on a computer prior to Windows XP.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:58 AM

My Buick Roadmasters had the pump style too loved those cars
Old 07-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Such an odd method...

Ive been having the same problem with resetting my 'oil life' on my cars comp. I have no clue where my car manual is either so I couldnt check that. I laughed when i saw you pumped the pedal 3 times, I thought it was a joke to see how many people you could get to try it. Hah! But of course I tried and pumping the pedal 3 times did the job. Thanks for posting the question!
Old 07-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lichevy
Ive been having the same problem with resetting my 'oil life' on my cars comp. I have no clue where my car manual is either so I couldnt check that. I laughed when i saw you pumped the pedal 3 times, I thought it was a joke to see how many people you could get to try it. Hah! But of course I tried and pumping the pedal 3 times did the job. Thanks for posting the question!
Try this link for the online owners manual.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/online-owners-manual-3074/

Quick Reply: Change oil soon reset