Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Colored Wax....Remove those door handle marks, made my own

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 PM

Colored Wax....Remove those door handle marks, made my own

Yes, I know most people say it is useless, but many years ago when we had another white car (Porsche 930) my wife's jewelry would leave little marks behind the door handles and the shop that took care of it for us said to get some Turtle Wax in white and it will get rid of them. The owner said regular wax also would work sometimes but not always. So I did and about once a month would use it to remove the marks. Now the P-car has long gone and after a succession of black, blue, gold and red cars I again have a white HHR. Guess what, she makes the same marks on this one so I pulled out the 20+ year old bottle of Turtle wax and it was dry! So I looked and now only black is sold it seems, so what to do?

I'll make my own so I did this morning. I have a vary large bottle of combo cleaner/wax that is slightly white in tint and went to Michael's craft store and bought some "washable" white paint. This is the kind used in schools for little kids to paint with and on the bottle I noted I could even drink it with no harm! So I mixed up about 8 oz. total of "white color" wax at 70% wax and 30% color. I tried it on a small place as I was afraid the dried wax would not come off. BUT it did just fine and the scratch marks behind the handles disappeared!

I would not use this or any other colored wax on the whole car BUT for small places like this it appears to be fine.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Cool, very interesting.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 AM

just use a clear coat safe compound to remove the marks (3m high tech cleaner), and then keep wax there. should take care of the problem.....S C
Old 04-29-2013, 04:25 PM

turtle wax just came out with the white wax again.. also black, saw it in walmart.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 PM

Well hell, that figures!!?? I have enough now to last a looooong time since I only use it on the door handle area but I might buy some next time I visit Wally World just to be safe.

For those that might worry about the "paint" part of the mixture, it is a water based washable type used for school kids and I did try it on a smooth surface and after it was dry it all wiped away. The pigmentation stays behind in the small marks and scratches.