Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

coolant level in recovery tank (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 03:59 PM

coolant level in recovery tank (pic)

I wanted to verify that the coolant level was good, so I went to the owners manual. I couldn't make heads or tails of that drawing. After searching "recovery" and looking through countless posts, I finally found a photo!!

And Sidecardog1's explanation: "This photo is looking down at the rear side of the coolant recovery tank. Look down at the rear side of the SS coolant recovery tank and on the rear side about 3 inches up from the bottom of the assembly there is a horizontal protrusion. The arrow in the photo points to this. It looks like a "rib" on the tank running left to right along the tanks rear side. The owners manual indicates this in a somewhat confusing manner. When the engine is cold the pink coolant should be at or slightly above the rib. The photo is from a 2010 SS with 5spd."

Thanks Sidecardog1, you haven't posted in a year and a half, but you're still helping! Coolant is pretty important, should this be sticky'd?
Old 12-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Stuck!! Or is that stickied?
Old 12-10-2015, 06:16 PM
Deceased

And here's another thread that gets into more detail, despite being "Stuck" err "Stickied", err you know...it gets lost from time to time.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/main...dexcool-26659/

Now sleeper got a bunch of us started using his method of running the coolant an inch to an inch and a half high in the tank as "Insurance", and also marking the fill lines with a Sharpie or paint pen.

Only do that when your HHR is dead nuts cold RJ, or you'll burn the snot out of your arm.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:54 AM

IMHO,

What a Crappy way to check a fluid that is so Critical.

I Vote for a "Dip Stick" that is easily accessed as well as a decent visual to see the color.

Just as an example how I saved the engine on my last Chevy Venture van when the External Oil Cooler failed and mixed the water and oil together.
My first warning was a low oil warning light while driving at 60mph and 20 miles to the closest place to get oil. I pulled over and shut it off and checked the oil. Just barely on the dip stick but still had oil pressure on the gauge.
I limped into a Walmart and bought 5 qts. of oil. It took just under 3 quarts to fill it.
The oil on the dip stick was clear/clean but when I happened to look at the coolant reservoir it was full of a Oil/Coolant mixture. That info helped allow me to turn around and Limp back to my GM Dealer to let them diagnose and make the repair with out having to have it towed in. The Warning light saved the day but the Large capacity, easy to check coolant recovery tank also played a major role in making it to safety and saving my engine.
It was a shocker and a rare failure but SH-t happens.

Silverfox
Old 12-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Silverfox;805995]IMHO,

" What a Crappy way to check a fluid that is so Critical "
Silverfox your statement nailed it..
This is hands down the WORST and most CHALLENGING set up I have ever seen for ascertaining coolant status and I would def agree or as we all know coolant level is extremely important... I took a jig saw to my engine cover and cut the corner out for easy visual access to that corner of coolant cap and recover tank. Burping the system is all day affair here in Florida ( no hills) I had to run it and watch and wait for no bubbles🍚I also installed a section of clear hose to visually see coolant moving and bubble status.. Its to know wonder this engine is not forgiving at all and why so many crap the bed and blow head gaskets.. Overheat it once, for a small amount of time and your heads toast🍞
Old 12-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Aluminum doesn't like getting hot so there's that. Fill the recovery tank a little higher for better ease of access. These cars are incredibly reliable, and most on the road you see are probably at or over the 200,000 mile mark. Sorry you're had a tough experience with yours, but they are very reliable. Also, for burping, just jack the front of the car up (or the passenger side) and it'll burp quite efficiently. I filled my recovery tank to just above one of the little pictures on it and it's plenty high to check.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

I've been running mine about 3 inches higher & I marked that level with a Sharpie.

Easy to see the level & never gets too high in the bottle.

Last edited by sleeper; 04-05-2018 at 10:40 PM.