Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Dealer Service vs Independant

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 08:37 PM

I almost went to one of those trade schools back in 2006- Lincoln Tech. It was free and paid for by the Feds as part of a plant closing program (shipped work overseas)- but they refused to send me after looking at my skills. They said I was fully trained.
Having access to and being able to troubleshoot schematics and software is a skill totally separate from mechanics. I know, I did electrical troubleshooting software modifications in the Chrysler plant for 15 years.
I got $99 taken off a work ticket once, when I proved to the service writer that the tech fixed both of my problems when he reflashed the firmware on the BCM computer. So I got a 2 for 1 that day. When the tech went to look at problem #2, he wrote "no problem found" and hit me for a $99 diagnostic fee for his time. - or maybe not, he just charged me and went outside for a smoke break.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:46 PM

Dealer Service vs Independant

Thank you all for the excellent input. Advice taken: Only warranty and recall work will be done by the Dealership (Dave Kirk Automotive, on Main St./Hwy 127, in Crossville, TN). All other work will be performed by J & R Automotive, 761 West Avenue, Crossville, TN. 38555 (931) 400-2993. This is NOT meant to be an ad for them but to let anyone know, that may be in the area and find themselves in need of service, for friendly, efficient and, most important, ethical, honest work, J & R Automotive would be the place to go. They are not the cheapest but certainly are worth every penny spent. Dave Kirk said their reason for the mistake was their computer was down the day I was there and when the service tech hand wrote up the inspection report he reversed the front disc brake pad measurements with the rear drum brake measurements. Okay, maybe, maybe not but it is enough to cause a lack in the desire to take them at their word. Yes, mistakes can be made but it is in my best interest to minimize that possibility. Again, Thank you for all of the advice and now if you find yourself in need in Crossville, this will help us all in the future.

Last edited by TN Dewstiller; 09-02-2014 at 06:35 PM.