Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Dex Cool

Old 10-06-2006, 05:47 AM

Dex Cool

Yeah, I'm probably gonna be a pain because of the questions I ask, but I like to know about a car before I buy one. I don't currently own an HHR, but am looking to buy one soon, and haven't bought a GM product in a long time. The only GM I've ever owned was my first car I bought in 1984...... it was a 1973 Buick Riviera "boat tail" with a 455 V8. So I guess GM cars have changed quite a bit since then! Anyways, I don't really like the Dex Cool that GM uses. I know people that have had trouble with it, especially my brother. He had 2 Malibus and now he owns a 2003 Impala. Seems the Dex Cool starts to sludge up within a few years even though GM tries to say it lasts 100 miles (he has about 43k on his Impala) . My advice is to get a coolant flush every couple of years. Unless GM no longer uses the Dex cool in the HHR?
Old 10-06-2006, 06:03 AM
Banned

I though DexCool gelled up when you mixed it with other coolants. I don't think it has anything to do with the coolants age. I could be wrong.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Ahhh Capt...

That's what I heard also. Even some cooling and radiator "additives" will do it. That was one of the reasons I was hesitant to use Water Wetter in mine (didn't do anything, though).

I suspect, Cobra65, that your brother did something that wasn't supported by GM Dexcool.

11 GM vehicles in 5 years with Dexcool....never had that problem. Bet you will find that nobody else did either ......unless they used a contaminant also.

Oh, just remembered I sponsored 2 more family members recently (an HHR and a G6 Convert.) so make that 13 in 5 years.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:38 PM

ok, i'm lost.........what exactly is dex cool, and what do i have to NOT do, so that i don't make problems for myself????
Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mudbilly
ok, i'm lost.........what exactly is dex cool, and what do i have to NOT do, so that i don't make problems for myself????
The special orange colored anti-freeze that GM uses. To my knowledge the way to avoid problems is to never mix it with any other anti-freeze. Green doesn't mix with orange.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:26 PM

But... Red, White and Green go great together, right CH??
Old 10-06-2006, 04:21 PM

actually GM has gone back on the 100000 and said it should be about 50000. Seems to break down after a while.........And i have had experience with this from a GM venture that had to have the radiator and the motor flushed and then had to finally replace the intake and head gaskets. it actually forms a mud consisitency.....
Old 10-06-2006, 04:28 PM

Bdarby, you say you had a Chevy Venture? I have a '99 and have overheating problems. Any advice?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeR
But... Red, White and Green go great together, right CH??
You know it! Name:  smilie_flagge9.gif
Views: 59
Size:  502 Bytes
Old 10-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bdarby
actually GM has gone back on the 100000 and said it should be about 50000. Seems to break down after a while.........And i have had experience with this from a GM venture that had to have the radiator and the motor flushed and then had to finally replace the intake and head gaskets. it actually forms a mud consisitency.....
I am not arguing......but,
it still says 150,000 miles or 5 years, for coolant change, in my owners book (section 6-6). I have not been notified of a change, by GM, regarding this. And, I am unable to locate a TSB to alter the original mileage time spec., but I'll continue to search.

Are you sure about your statement. Or, could it have been a special "campaign" in regard to specific vehicles. I know that, at one time, Texaco, supplied a faulty coolant that caused some problems with specific vehicles with specific VIN's. GM replaced the engines under warranty and "charged back" the costs to the supplier. So, my question would be....

when did this occur?
was the vehicle in warranty?
what year was the vehicle?

If you are correct, this is an important change that people should know about!!

Also, those new members with 07' models what does your owners book state?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dex Cool