Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

On Dex-Cool and Thermostats

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:30 PM

The fact is only a few older engines adapted over to Dex Cool prior to 2004 really had showed any issues. Even all of them did not suffer tha same fate.

Today you really do not see any issues with the coolant as we can note here with the Eco.

The main point is if you have an HHR and it has Dex Cool you should not fear it and enjoy it as it will serve you well for 5 years if you maintain it properly.

The fact is you can half a$$ maintain many things on todays cars like you used too or you will have issues. New ways to service and new technologies have improved things on todays cars but new ways to treat them are also in order. Just because you used to do thing one way does not mean it is good to do it today the same way.

I think the adapted to o ring gaskets with plastic intakes were more at issue than anything. These were not designed originally for this and the intakes were also well know to crack and leak oil too. They had their issues with the coolent not even considered. Same on the 3.4 engines for know issues that were beyond coolant issues.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:54 AM

In my opinion...

Everything made today is designed to fail. Whether it is a TV or a car. Not fail massively. Just enough to get you to buy parts or another car to not have to deal with the repair process. No manufacturer wants to have their vehicles last forever.

Even POWERWHEELS, which is a toy company will not sell you the gearboxes or motors. The gearboxes and motors of a powerwheels from the good old days lasted 20 + years with no problems. Now they last around 3 years if you are lucky. Plus,You have to have it repaired by one of their techs or modify the vehicle your self. My members and myself have entire forum devoted to doing just that. You can click my signature to see what I am talking about.

So, with that said. Has anybody modified their HHR's, thermostat or cooling system with something non factory that works better?

Would love to see the modification that you did!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:45 PM

Not everything is designed to fail. For the most cars are built to the point that you can get you value out of them and they are used up. They could build them to last longer but few would pay the price.

There is a limited life to everything and anything. While cars may not last for ever today most of them will last longer than they ever have.

100,000 miles today is just broke in and you keep going. In years past you could look in a Popular mechanics and see the ads for piston rings that would be lucky to make 70,000 miles as well as many other parts. Tires in years past would be good to last 15,000 miles not counting a repair or two to get them there.

What is happening in the automotive field is the value of the car in many cases is less than it is to repair it. This is how they can get you to trade up. the electonics are just too costly to replace.

It would be counter productive to modify your cooling system as today it is a highly tuned part of the car. It cuts emissions helps keep the power and MPG optimum and cuts wear on the engine buy getting up to temp so fast. I see little value to negate any of this. Besides the heater working in less than a half mile feels good this time of year.

The bottom line it works pretty dang good so why mess with it?