Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Dipstick Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Dipstick Oil Level

Ok, this is going to sound completely stupid...but I have a question. On the dipstick, the oil level goes to the top of the word "Max" which would appear to be slightly higher than it should be. But when I change the oil I let it drain for a few hours (because I do) and refill with 5 quarts. I just double checked to make sure that's how much I need to put in...because it almost appears to be over filled. Of course I don't have another HHR here to look at, because maybe I'm reading the dipstick wrong, but shouldn't the level be under the word "Max"?

I don't want to put less oil in than called for, but I don't want to hurt anything either...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Deceased

OK, did you start it before you checked the level of the new oil because once the filter fills you will see a drop in the level. With 5 quarts you are using the exact amount called for, run it for a bit and then check the level on the dipstick, should be right at MAX.

One thing you never should do is add more oil than an engine calls for, interesting things can happen as the oil literally gets picked up by crankshaft in a phenomenon known as "windage" which can starve the engine of oil.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:47 PM

Oh, and see I thought you were supposed to let it sit off for a bit before checking the oil level to let it get back to the bottom. Because yeah, ever time I check it (tonight included) it's been off for at least a few minutes.

But yeah, I knew that overfilling is a lot worse than being under... But it's been like this since I've bought it (about 20k miles) and I haven't hurt anything yet... But like I said, I know I have 5qts in there, and that's always what comes out.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Deceased

Yeah you should still let it sit for a bit before checking the oil, what I meant was once you've changed the oil run the engine and check for leaks, then let it sit for a few minutes before checking the oil. If you check right after a change, but before starting the engine, the level on the dipstick will be off because the filter has yet to fill which accounts for about 1/2 a quart of oil. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 PM

Oh..well then that doesn't solve my problem then I guess. It's been a couple weeks since I changed my oil....
Old 07-03-2011, 11:46 PM

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44901

This guy has a good example.

In post #5 he has a diagram. In that, mine would be pretty consistently reading at the "B" level... So just a tad bit high...
Old 07-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Platinum Member

Even in the owners Manual it states to check oil level when motor has been run or hot..

When doing a hhr oil change you need to remove the oil fill cap first to allow air in, & oil out the drain hole.. Drain for 1/2 hr. (min) according to GM.. Doubt they ever do that tho, but I do..

Mine takes 5 qts (as they all do) and reads Perfectly Full after running..

When I got it it, it read a tad overfull.. Which I quickly remedied..
Old 07-04-2011, 09:04 AM

Well maybe next time I'll let it sit overnight and drain to make sure I get EVERYTHING out... I'll try taking the cap off when I drain it too..
Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 AM

I always end up getting several ounces out of the filter recess with a clean, no lint rag..... and yes, the filler cap should be off (or loose but still sitting there.... don't want dirt/bugs/whatever falling in there.)
Old 07-04-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
I always end up getting several ounces out of the filter recess with a clean, no lint rag..... and yes, the filler cap should be off (or loose but still sitting there.... don't want dirt/bugs/whatever falling in there.)
That's why I never opened the cap was to keep bugs out. But yeah I usually take a clean shop towel and jam it in the filter area to get out the oil from there.

What worries me now though is if I'm a bit overfilled and I'm putting in 5qts, I don't know if I can put in a whole jug now that they're all selling as 5.1qts. That might be too much now...

Quick Reply: Dipstick Oil Level