Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Dipstick Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM

I personally agree with Snoopy. Much engineering goes into these vehicles, including the engines, which included the lubrication/cooling requirements. These engines are DESIGNED to take 5 quarts of oil. They have cast aluminum oil pans, so there's not a dent that will cause a mis-read on the dipstick. I am more inclined to think you have a dipstick tube that's a tad short, a dipstick that's a tad long, or perhaps it's not the original dipstick for your exact engine? If I read your info correctly, you bought the vehicle used, so a replaced dipstick is a possibility.

I would use the 5 quart fill as my 'full' benchmark, and watch it from there, if I were you.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Snoopy - I have to disagree with you on the idea that if the manual says 5 quarts, then you add 5 quarts. That specification for the amount of oil for an oil and filter change in a lot of manuals often stated something about the amount being needed for a totally empty engine (meaning just rebuilt or brand new that has never had oil in it). The HHR manual does not state that at all I know, but the manual is also very explicit on how to top up the oil, and shows exactly where the max level should be on the dipstick. So to advise that one should just add the 5 quarts, no matter what the dipstick reads, is just wrong in my opinion.

But lets confuse the poor lad that started this thread and start discussing how quickly one should dip and remove the dipstick to get a correct reading on the dipstick dependant on the viscosity of the oil. LOL ie: with that 10/40 weight you have to leave the dipstick in a 1/2 second longer than for 5/30 that we use due to the slower cling factor.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Drain the oil while you change the oil filter (what will that take you? 5-10 minutes?), then put the drain plug back in, and refill the oil. After 5-10 minutes the oil that is draining will be slowed to a bare trickle - and you could wait another 24 hours and let it drain another 1/4 cup if you wish. But is it worth it? Not at all likely.

The HHR motors do not take any longer to drain their oil than other engines I've had. It's not a big deal guys.
i'm pretty sure i know how to change oil

but sleeper said said the manual stated a 30 min. drain - just wondered why the lengthy wait
Old 07-04-2011, 05:10 PM

I've always waited at least that long on every car I've ever owned, and all those I did as a mechanic back in the day..... I don't like leaving gunk behind. This isn't "quickie lube", ya know.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:19 PM

re

hmmmm...i've changed quite a few in my day - guess i have more things to do than watch nothing come out of an oil pan
if i want to get the gunk out i'll drop the pan...
Old 07-04-2011, 06:28 PM

I can always find something else to clean while it drains.... No need to watch it. Even after 1/2 hour or more, there's still a drop coming out every few seconds.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 08bowtie
i'm pretty sure i know how to change oil

but sleeper said said the manual stated a 30 min. drain - just wondered why the lengthy wait
Actually sleeper said the 30 mins was GM's recommendation - but I do not think that came from the owners manual - maybe the service manual???

My point was that waiting beyond that 10 mins or so that it takes do re and re the filter buys absolutely minimal benefits, as we are only talking about a few oz of oil. And the original poster mentioned about leaving it overnight or 24 hours to drain- total overkill for something that is beyond simple.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Talking

Actually sleeper said the 30 mins was GM's recommendation - but I do not think that came from the owners manual - maybe the service manual???
That's what I said, it was GM's recommendation 30 min drain for a thorough oil change. NOT the Owners Manual.

Also it has been posted here by a wise old member that very same thing.

I don't have a problem with letting it (Hot) drain for 30 minutes as a minimum, cause I check everything else out under the hood as well as underneath the ride.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:07 PM

My point was that waiting beyond that 10 mins or so that it takes do re and re the filter buys absolutely minimal benefits, as we are only talking about a few oz of oil. And the original poster mentioned about leaving it overnight or 24 hours to drain- total overkill for something that is beyond simple.
But it's not like I'm sitting there watching it. If it's still dripping out at a steady pace why not just keep letting it? Besides, that wasn't the point I was asking...

And Snoopy, NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! You said that about sludge and then I had to scroll down, freaked me out!!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:17 PM

You got sludge.........

Quick Reply: Dipstick Oil Level