Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Dipstick Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
In 1954 I bought a VW bug, for oil I bought a 5 gallon oil can from Sears and a glass bottle with a metal nozzleon top, I dont remeber the cost but probaly about $0.15 a quart o for the old days.
In around 1942 Harley sold qts of Oil in glass jars also.. Worth a lot of $$ for
one these days..
Old 12-30-2016, 05:30 AM

NECROBUMP. Question; Since I have owned the HHR, the dipstick always reads at the third bump on the stick, with the fourth being somewhat coated in oil and a bit of oil trailed above the word "max". I don't have any leak that I am aware of and whenever I change the oil just a smidgen under 5 quarts come out; just the same as I put in. I suppose it must have something to do with Florida driveways being sloped down but it reads that way in my garage too? never goes down from that point. Not burning any oil. Just reads "low" but is it REALLY low? is the dipstick more like the coolant reservoir in that it has a "min" and "max" level and as long as its in between it is OK? Like I said, every 5K miles or so 5 quarts goes in and 5 quarts comes out. My other cars had a "full hot" marker with the bottom line reading "add" or something to that effect. The words min/max just throw me off is all.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Technical Moderator

I know you have an Owner Manual.

Oil level is fine ANYWHERE between max and min. The engine is metric, for their own convenience they translate 4.7 L= 5 Qt. close enough, I imagine 5L would work.

I think "full hot & cold" would be ATF dipstick.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Have a look at your oil pressure sending unit, if you have oil on your oil pan and blown back over the trans pan , it could be coming from the OPS. I used to use about a half quart every 5k miles.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:58 AM

I took a look at your thread about that, Oldblue, and I used to have, I kid you not, an "intermittent" oil leak that for some reason isnt there anymore. I bet it is the OPSU like your problem, but the leak was so insignificant that when changing the oil @ 5K there was damn near no oil loss. I have a gander anyway. It could be a lot worse than what I am thinking; just like with my rear shocks XD. Thanks for the info donbrew. When I first discovered that it reads a mark below max I was more religious in checking; stopped caring too much when at work and in the parking lot of a restaurant the level read right at MAX, so I always attributed it to the slope of the driveway that the level is normally checked in. I am being extra cautious because I am "pushing the limit" so to speak right now with my change interval. I am trying to get to 10K so I can change it three times a year. I have been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and when I had my oil analyzed at 5K the results were astounding; Blackstone said there was plenty of life left at 5K and furthermore the amount of wear deposits in the oil read far less than "most engines in this family" at the same interval, so Gregg seems to be putting around pretty healthily.

Apologies for the wall of words on a dead thread BTW
Old 12-30-2016, 09:20 AM
Administrator

I wish my brain would have told me to take pictures, when I changed the OPSU, RF2 did the swap from up top and did not remove the starter. I had a layer of oil and dirt encrusted over the block , oil pan and the starter, this held the oil from dripping unless I parked with the nose down.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 AM

Hm.... Makes me want to experiment to see if I have the same issue.