Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Extended Warranty Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Extended Warranty Coverage

Just got back from my dealership to have the coolant flushed and replaced ($120.00 inc. tax - don't know if that's a good price but......) and also told them that I had heard about the ignition lock cylinder binding on the 2008-2009 HHR. I told them that I planned on doing a lot of traveling next month and would hate be stuck in the boonies without being able to turn off my car. They went ahead and replaced it under the Special Extended Warranty Coverage #12089 (nothing to do with the major recall currently going on).
I told the guy that even though my car (2008 2LT 2.4) only has 16,000 miles, it IS 6 years old (reason for the coolant flush) and I just worry that its time is coming for the ignition cylinder to bind. He said that he told GM that it was already binding and that it had happened a few times (it hadn't but he wanted to get this done for me!) GOOD DEALERSHIP!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lawagz
Just got back from my dealership to have the coolant flushed and replaced ($120.00 inc. tax - don't know if that's a good price but......) and also told them that I had heard about the ignition lock cylinder binding on the 2008-2009 HHR. I told them that I planned on doing a lot of traveling next month and would hate be stuck in the boonies without being able to turn off my car. They went ahead and replaced it under the Special Extended Warranty Coverage #12089 (nothing to do with the major recall currently going on).
I told the guy that even though my car (2008 2LT 2.4) only has 16,000 miles, it IS 6 years old (reason for the coolant flush) and I just worry that its time is coming for the ignition cylinder to bind. He said that he told GM that it was already binding and that it had happened a few times (it hadn't but he wanted to get this done for me!) GOOD DEALERSHIP!!!!!!

TWO GOOD Moves .. but I would suggest you consider a couple other things.

There are also others .. but these 2 are important.

I am reffering to the Low Mileage you have.

That means Potential Fuel Problems.

10% alcohol fuel is a Disaster if not Stored Properly.

The Shelf life is very short and it also absorbs moisture just sitting.

This is what you should be doing to protect your fuel and related components.

1. Buy a 32oz. bottle of Bell .. Mix-I-Go Concentrated Gas Treatment.

2. Run your current fuel down to close to empty.

3. Add 2 oz. Bell Concentrate per 10 gallons of fresh fuel which is a double dose for the first 2 treatments.

4. Use a separtate "Quality Fuel Stabilizer" to all fresh fuel you put in the tank after the 2 double doses of Bell Concentrate.

5. After that Continue using Bell Concentrate at a 1 oz. per 10 gallons and the Fuel stabilizer as well. Especially in the winter months.

6. Never run your tank down much past 1/4 as the pump requires fuel to cool it and you will shorten it's life.

You have a Cool 2008 HHR and this will give you both piece of mind and better dependabitlity going forward.

SF
Old 03-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Hey Lawagz,

Glad to hear you had a great dealership visit. Happy driving!

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 03-12-2014, 03:49 PM

[TWO GOOD Moves .. but I would suggest you consider a couple other things.

There are also others .. but these 2 are important.

I am reffering to the Low Mileage you have.

That means Potential Fuel Problems.

10% alcohol fuel is a Disaster if not Stored Properly.

The Shelf life is very short and it also absorbs moisture just sitting.

This is what you should be doing to protect your fuel and related components.

1. Buy a 32oz. bottle of Bell .. Mix-I-Go Concentrated Gas Treatment.

2. Run your current fuel down to close to empty.

3. Add 2 oz. Bell Concentrate per 10 gallons of fresh fuel which is a double dose for the first 2 treatments.

4. Use a separtate "Quality Fuel Stabilizer" to all fresh fuel you put in the tank after the 2 double doses of Bell Concentrate.

5. After that Continue using Bell Concentrate at a 1 oz. per 10 gallons and the Fuel stabilizer as well. Especially in the winter months.

6. Never run your tank down much past 1/4 as the pump requires fuel to cool it and you will shorten it's life.

You have a Cool 2008 HHR and this will give you both piece of mind and better dependabitlity going forward.

SF]

Thanks for the info Silverfox, but it had 10K on the clock when I bought it last June. The previous owner drove it maybe once a week after her husband passed away and she was moving to Mexico City where she did not need a car hence the reason for the sale. I am driving the car every day and not storing it so it has been in normal use mode since last June. At the time I purchased I had everything checked out........