Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

How to change your own oil.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:54 AM

I love the detail. If I were to use a floor jack and stands, where would you suggest positioning them. Every car seems to be different.

Also, since your photos and directions are better than any I have seen, could you include directions on replacing the engine air filter?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlueJackets
I love the detail. If I were to use a floor jack and stands, where would you suggest positioning them. Every car seems to be different.

Also, since your photos and directions are better than any I have seen, could you include directions on replacing the engine air filter?
Never used my stands on the HHR. But I did notice while using my floor jack that there is a nice heavy looking spot just inside the inside rear of the front tires. Flat looking area with a drain hole in the center (looks like a "frame" type of support, but unibody of course). I used that for my floor jack and it held nicely.

Never opened up the air filter yet. With this mileage and it's usage, won't be needed for a while. It took 3 years for me to clean the K&N on the wifes MPV and even then it was still some what "pink". It's not a dusty area around here and they never go off road.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:44 PM

I've read that some people get access to the drain plug by reaching in behind the passenger side wheel - they must have long arms.

I had my HHR up on ramps tonight and tried to reach the drain plug from the passenger side and could not reach it. Even with a socket and extension I doubt I could get a solid connection to it.

Looks like I'll have to remove the drain plug from underneath and hope I don't burn myself
Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 PM

Great Explanation, detail, and pictures.

I would like to suggest one of these oil plugs.
A quick flip of the lever, and the oil comes out.
No need to use a wrench or get your hands dirty.
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

I have one on both my HHR and Colorado.
I don't suggest it to anyone who has replaced there springs and are running low to the ground.

Keith
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by laborkei
Great Explanation, detail, and pictures.

I would like to suggest one of these oil plugs.
A quick flip of the lever, and the oil comes out.
No need to use a wrench or get your hands dirty.
http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

I have one on both my HHR and Colorado.
I don't suggest it to anyone who has replaced there springs and are running low to the ground.

Keith

I'm very interested in getting this for my HHR. A couple of questions:

1. Which one do you have?
2. Is it safe from accidentally being opened during normal driving by road debris etc.?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by jescobe82
I used to be a die hard change your oil every 3K, but if GM is putting your oil life in the DIC, then it sure seems to be a waste of money. Many years ago I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic and in every car/truck I have had since doing so, I run to between 10K and 12K on the mileage with no problems whatsoever. My HHR currently has 4,600 on it and the DIC says I'm at 61% remaining putting my oil change at around 12K or so. Since this is the first oil change, I am going to about 50% DIC indication then I'm changing it and switching over to Mobil 1 due to this being factory oil. There doesn't seem to be a "break in" procedure with most new vehicles these days, but I would feel more comfortable changing that out as I know there is initial engine wear within the first couple of thousand miles. I highly recommend Mobil 1 and wouldn't have any problem going at least 10K between changes. Hope this helps!!
GM has a very specific break in procedure. Also, GM recommends using conventional oil on your first and second oil change (unless your car came with synthetic from the factory). You may use synthetic on your third oil change.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chingchonger
GM has a very specific break in procedure. Also, GM recommends using conventional oil on your first and second oil change (unless your car came with synthetic from the factory). You may use synthetic on your third oil change.
Can you supply the documentation that supports this assertion? I can't seem to find it in my Owners Book, the GM web site, GMLINK, GM Dealer Network. Are you sure this applies to the HHR and NOT a crate engine that is blueprinted and clearanced (which is a totally different situation)????

But, I would be interested in reviewing/researching it !!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:44 AM

Red face

The first oil change was a freebie from the dealer. I did #2 myself using Mobil 1. The next #3 oil change I had done at the dealer, who overcharged me for Mobil 1. The DIC now shows 58% after 6000 miles on that one. I'll do my own Mobil 1 change down the road.

On a side note, I have a toy car, a 20 year old Fiero that I had been using Mobil 1 in since the engine was swapped out some 50,000 mile ago. The last oil change I used 10-30 Amsoil and this past weekend on a road trip with it to Georgia and back, I noticed that the car ran lots cooler than in previous years. I may switch to Amsoil for the HHR.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I may switch to Amsoil for the HHR.
Just a heads up. Amsoil is not on GMs approved oil list .

If you use it and have an oil related failure, you would have to deal with Amsoil for resolution, not GM.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 PM

That was a great - play-by-play - so to speak. My father usually does the work on all of our cars and we weren't sure where the oil filter was.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change your own oil.