Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Mildewed carpet: clean or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:36 PM

Mildewed carpet: clean or replace?

I left the windows on my 2011 HHR cracked open during a thunderstorm. I dried it the best I could, but it now smells as though there is something dead in my car. I checked for dead mice, and didn't find anything, so the only thing it can be is mildew.

I haven't encountered any other leaks.

I have vacuumed, used the wet vac, sprinkled baking soda, sprayed with Febreeze, cleaned with regular rug cleaner, and it still smells horrible. I'm embarrassed to drive with my windows done because I'm afraid someone I pass will smell it.

Are there special cleaning products for stubborn mildew in carpet or should I just take it out and replace it? Is replacing auto carpet something an amateur can do, or will I need to take it to a body shop?
Old 08-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Technical Moderator

Replacing it involves removing the seats and interior panels. Not difficult, but a huge PIA. Plan on most of a days work.

The carpet is one piece and has a thick semi rigid backing.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 AM
Deceased

You might want to check with your local Fire & Water damage remediation companies, or someone like ServPro.

There's probably a way to clean the carpet in situ and get rid of the mold/mildew which not only stinks, but certain strains of mold can cause you to become quite ill.

And as Don stated, the last resort is installing new carpeting, but on a 1-10 PITA scale, it's a good solid 9.

Oh, also check with your insurance company, this might be covered under the Comprehensive section of your policy, just be mindful of your deductible.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:59 AM

Thank you both for your answers.

I hadn't thought of taking it to a profession cleaning service. I did check with detail shops, but they didn't inspire a lot of confidence in me.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Trust me. The only way to get it completely dry is to remove the carpet.
Been there, done that on other vehicles.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Trust me. The only way to get it completely dry is to remove the carpet.
Been there, done that on other vehicles.
Do you mean to take it out and clean it, or do you mean replace it?

I did think it would be less hassle to replace the carpet, but I'm having a hard time finding replacement carpet, even at some the websites recommended here.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Technical Moderator

You will only find new carpet from GM, used maybe from a junkyard.

The fairly thick padding is part of the carpet. The mildew is most likely growing between the metal and the pad.

This site does not recommend any sources. There are a couple of paid advertisements, and Google ads.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Texana
Do you mean to take it out and clean it, or do you mean replace it?

I did think it would be less hassle to replace the carpet, but I'm having a hard time finding replacement carpet, even at some the websites recommended here.
Take it out and clean it, OR, if it's not salvageable, then replace it. Either way, you need to pull the old carpet out.

A wet/dry vac will not pull the moisture out of the padding. Last carpet I pulled out was on my 17 year old truck. Water had worked it's way all up under the front seats from a rear window leak.
Mine didn't have much mildew but I cleaned the carpet with some carpet cleaner I got at Wally World. Some brand of spray foam stuff.
Cleaned the bare truck floor with a water/clorox mix. Let the carpet and padding dry in the sun for 2 days.
Carpet looked almost new again, so I reinstalled it.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Send a PM to Wreck, he is parting out his HHR parts car, he may have a carpet