Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Monroe strut & coil spring assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I have a couple of 12" socket extension bars that I use all the time for that purpose. A 3/8" and 1/2" extension bar are in one of my tool boxes just for "punch" usage. Both have been used and mashed so much that they won't go onto a ratchet any more.
Me, too! I use the 4 inch 3/8 extension, after a while you end up with lots of socket set (fathers day etc) I have used one to drive bearing races out.
Or you could use a nail set, a cheap screwdriver etc.

I have never bothered lining the splines up, I figure the cast iron is soft enough to "heal" rather than enlarge.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:26 AM

So don you are saying when the bolt goes back in just seat it in there and tap away until it is all the way through?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:19 AM
Technical Moderator

That's what I did. They are a interference fit, the splines bite into the cast iron. Maybe the splines found the grooves by them selves, I didn't pay any attention to it.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Lining up with the old spline groves would just make the bolt insert easier. The bolt wouldn't have to make new groves. Not something that you must do. Just something to make the job easier.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:46 AM

So just to check in; I did it!!! I installed my Gabriel quick struts with little trouble! I know it is a simple and easy job; but I feel proud for doing it. Cant imagine why the shop wanted over 200 dollars in labor to do it! Only trouble I had was with one of the spline bolts; I had to hammer away at it at various suspension heights until it finally came free. I would definitely think that mostly anyone could do this job. Even if you had to purchase basic hand tools it would still be cheaper than having it done. As for the splines; I sort of lined them up going in and just tightened the nut at the other side with my cheater bar until they sucked all the way through. So far all bolts are still to torque spec and the suspension is NEARLY silent; just need to replace the end links but I didn't have the right size wrench; the ones on there are already aftermarket moogs but the "old" style" with an open face type boot. The new ones I have in the garage are much better built. Oh I ended up purchasing that Impact wrench that donbrew linked (only 40 bucks with coupon!) and the thing did wonders when removing the sway bar bolt. As for the bottom two bolts I used my cheater bar because the gun wouldn't fit in between the knuckle and wheel well. When I talked to my dad about it he simply asked "couldn't you just turn the wheel?" My response was "dad you know I am not THAT smart." I couldn't believe I didn't think of that -_- Doing this type of work is a learning process though. HAHA. Felt pretty successful being a 25 year old newbie who never touched a strut in his life before!
Old 11-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Administrator

It is a good feeling, saving money and doing it yourself, and knowing it was done right, because you researched it and did it right!