Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Passenger side bulb out, but high beam works

Old 03-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
A bit easier yes, still need to pull the splash guard out and reach in there for it but its just a little thing. I only had to replace one so far. There are two in the front and two in the back. As a trick for changing headlights just turn your wheel OPPOSITE the side you want to change out and you should be able to pull back the splash guard enough to reach in there and twist the old one out and the new one in, all while looking at the housing from the outside to make sure you are getting it in there straight. I keep a plastic pin puller tool in my trunk so I can change easily and on the fly if needed! last time I had to it was in the parking lot of an auto zone and took about five minutes.
God but the splash guard is so obnoxious. I keep getting scratched up every time I have to deal with maneuvering around in there. Oh well. I'll get it done when the snow melts and the weather warms up. Just fixed the headlight, so no one's gonna pull me over for a side marker. Why in God's name would Chevy put the only access to ALL THOSE BULBS behind the splash guard.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 AM

I think it was for styling purposes..... People still think its cool when I pop my hood and the grille comes up with it! As for me I had to change the side marker bulb right away... Once I know it was out and at night pulling up next to someone/something and knowing my car was asymmetrical just... bothered me... XD For the headlights just get the cheapest kind.... Dont go for the extra bright or you will be reaching back up there before the year is out!
Old 03-16-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
I think it was for styling purposes..... People still think its cool when I pop my hood and the grille comes up with it! As for me I had to change the side marker bulb right away... Once I know it was out and at night pulling up next to someone/something and knowing my car was asymmetrical just... bothered me... XD For the headlights just get the cheapest kind.... Dont go for the extra bright or you will be reaching back up there before the year is out!
Yeah, I won't break the bank on those side markers. Are the back ones just a screw? I didn't actually look at those :p
Old 03-16-2017, 11:55 AM

I think the pair of side marker bulbs I got was only a couple bucks... The backs I am not sure to be honest. Havent had to touch em! The driver side front marker bulb is still burning as bright as the brand new one on the passenger side, I have the second bulb in my glovebox waiting for the day it goes!
Old 03-16-2017, 04:38 PM
Technical Moderator

On a 2006 the DRLs are the turn signal/parking lights.

Be sure to get the part number listed in your Owner Manual, not the on the parts store tells you! The one their book says to use is too hot and will melt your lens.

As to headlights; the brighter they are (more expensive) the shorter the life. There is a life estimate on the back of the package.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 PM

yep. I pay for brightest replacements I can get,, the price for better vision I guess. On my Suburban I put the kit in that keeps the low beam on when you go to brights, isread of just the brights on. I like light and seeing everything when I'm driving at night, and I drive a lot before sunup, and after sundown.