Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Coolant Flush - Splash Shield and Drain Valve (petc0ck)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 01:49 PM

Coolant Flush - Splash Shield and Drain Valve (petc0ck)

2006 Chevy HHR LT 2.4L
I'm having an issue with the Petc0ck / Coolant Drain valve and removing the splash shield. I need to drain my coolant and replace my T-Stat. I have read the T-Stat Replacement Guide. My goal is to drain the Coolant from the radiator before looking for the water pump drain bolt.

First, In step 1 it mentions that you should remove the splash shield to access the perc0ck as seen in the Red Square below. This thing in the orange circle below is blocking the removal. How do I disconnect the splash shield from the radiator with this thing in the way?
In the instructions he calls it a push pin, but that term is used to describe other car fasteners, so I can't search for answers.

Second, Is there a special tool for turning this? I cannot turn it at all. I tried a pliers as was suggested in the Instructions, but I snapped off a corner of the larger fins, and don't want to try this anymore. I can't use hand strength, and I can't use pliers. What else works? I have seen someone get a piece of wood and fabricate a tool to turn it, but I don't have a saw or anything like that.

If there is no special tool, then is disconnecting the lower radiator hose from the radiator the same as opening the coolant system the drain valve in terms of a fully flushed coolant system? I might try that if I can reach the hose end nearest to the radiator.

Third, I can't find the water pump in order to find the drain bolt. I have seen diagrams posted on this forum, and the image posted on the instructions linked above. I have looked on the passenger side underneath my car, but nothing looks like the images. My Chilton manual states it is on the "firewall side of the engine, at the timing chain end" But I don't know what either of those things mean.

Last edited by pop_chart; 02-07-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:35 PM
Technical Moderator

You don't really need to remove the shield. There is a special tool for removing the pet male chicken in the red square. The water pump drain is on the bottom of the water pump.

If you decide to use pliers on the pet male chicken and destroy it, fear not they are available at auto parts stores. You don't have to remove the pet chicken, just loosen it to drain through the hole on the shroud.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...acement-56476/

tool

drain

Old 02-07-2020, 02:41 PM

The water pump drain is on the bottom of the water pump.
Hi Don, Thank you for replying to my post, and the links to the tools. I can't identify the water pump. Most posts here try to tell you certain visual ques, like 'near the firewall'. I can't figure out what that is.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:44 PM
Technical Moderator

The firewall is the wall between the engine compartment and the passenger compartment.
I posted another link to the water pump how-to while you were typing.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:26 PM

Ok, then its between the passenger seat and the engine. Perhaps a bit behind the front passenger side wheel. I will have to look tomorrow, I found out that just now that the STANT T-Stat isn't a good one, so I'm looking for an adelco one on Rockauto per the adelco site.

Strange that the part number listed in Rockauto shows as not fitting when using Adelco's Amazon site
Old 02-07-2020, 03:36 PM
Administrator

AC Delco 131-158 180 degrees thermostat and Dexcool 50/50 premix coolant is best. And this is a pet rooster removal tool

https://www.toolsource.com/radiator-...-p-133833.html

And Donbrew’s howto

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...acement-56476/
Old 02-07-2020, 04:36 PM

Thanks, I'm going to have to order online, no part store carries these parts I need other than for the broken pet**** valve. I'm torn between waiting for weeks for a part from an official adelco online affiliated shop, and just amazon.

Rockauto claims that the 2.4L and the 2.2L engine have the same T-Stat, but amazon thinks that the part that is recommended on this site doesn't fit it. I'll check the forums for anyone else whos had this issue. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:47 PM
Administrator

RockAuto is correct use the thermostat part number I posted for you. It’s a long story but others don’t work . They ship pretty fast and normally I get my parts in 2 or 3 days up here in Canada.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. I did check their shipping time, and it was Feb 14 for here in the states, AZ. But everything helps. Thanks to both of you.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:36 PM

Here's a how-to, there's a pic of the water pump in it.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...lant-ss-57387/

Quick Reply: Coolant Flush - Splash Shield and Drain Valve (petc0ck)