Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Replacing Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 PM

We must say the above pictures seem to be a bit extreme for accessing the bulb on the HHR ! We usually can do a bulb replacement in less than 5 minutes a side (this includes setting my fat a$$ on the ground and getting back up) ! Really just turning the wheel inward, removing the (2) plastic pins and (1) sheet metal screw that retains the inner liner is all we have needed to do to access and replace the bulb !

Peace .....
Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Premium Member

Patting myself on the back

Replaced my first headlight bulb over the weekend. Parts house had the bulb and the push pins. Total time 20 min. Drew some blood on back of hand and got some forearm bruises from wheel well cowling but I feel that I accomplished my first PITA repair. Total cost $20
Old 07-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Deceased

Yeah AceMan, some blood loss and swearing is to be expected while replacing the bulbs on an HHR, but the feeling of accomplishment just gives you warm fuzzy feelings inside. Who need easy to replace bulbs, those cars are for weenies, HHR owners know you gotta spill some blood every now and again.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 AM

I did it!

With help from my girlfriend (the one I talked into buying a 2006 2LT from another forum member) I replaced the bulb on the passenger side WITHOUT REMOVING THE WHEEL. First, I turned the wheel all the way INWARD. She removed two fasteners with the $10 tool mentioned elsewhere in this forum. Then she unscrewed one metric 7 screw. I reached underneath the fender liner and couldn't get to the bulb. So, I TURNED THE WHEEL OUTWARD and suddenly had enough room inside the fender liner to reach it easily. It was higher up than I thought it would be. The old bulb came off fine, and pushing one tab released the it from its wiring harness. The hardest part was getting the tabs lined up inserting the new bulb into the headlight assembly so it would sit in its proper place. I also wore a nonsterile disposable surgical glove on my left hand, so I didn't have to worry about touching the bulb (which I did a lot). I am not handy at all, and some of the descriptions here and on youtube suggest removing the wheel and/or large sections of the fender liner to get better access. If you do this, you can directly visualize what you are doing. However, if you can work on the inside by feel, then it is not necessary.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 PM

I had the one go out but my brights still work & it apears that my daytime lights still work on both just not the nightime lights....they are the orginal bulbs...and should be replaced and I was wondering what brand I should buy for best results ???
Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 PM

Wal-Mart

The basic bulb that Wal-Mart sells puts out a good light pattern and should last a long time. Anything more expensive will burn out much faster and may or may not work a little better. The "improved" blue bulbs that were installed for me at an aftermarket shop that repaired my car had a worse light pattern than the basic bulb and died quickly.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM

ive replaced both of mine on my 2010 hhr. didn't have to take off wheel either time. turn wheels to get tire out of way. use needlnose pliers, and a 7MM socket to loosen the splash guard. then like gumby feel your way up till you find it. PISS POOR Design! hate it.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by rainmanva
ive replaced both of mine on my 2010 hhr. didn't have to take off wheel either time. turn wheels to get tire out of way. use needlnose pliers, and a 7MM socket to loosen the splash guard. then like gumby feel your way up till you find it. PISS POOR Design! hate it.
I have read quite a bit about changing headlight bulbs and have done mine. I haven't read the following tip from anyone but I discovered this and will pass it on. Please don't flame me if I missed this somewhere. Getting the old bulb out is feel in the dark but(and here is the tip) putting the new bulb in is much easier if you will scoot forward so you can see the headlight from the front but are still holding the bulb in the fender well ready to install. Put your hand and bulb up at the back of the headlight and you can see the tip of the bulb through the mounting hole in the headlight hole. This makes it really easy to insert the bulb and seat it in place. Before I found this system it took me longer to install the bulb than it did to get the old bulb out...much longer.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:45 PM

Just did mine, turning wheel in and removing plastic fasteners. It was harder for me to get the new ones in also. Took about 30 minutes.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:45 AM

Where is the fuse for the headlight?

Quick Reply: Replacing Headlight Bulbs