Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Rust on Drivers Door

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 AM

Rust on Drivers Door

I have a 2008 LT2, with 35k miles. It started with paint bubbles on the
bottom door seam, I had that sandblasted, rustproofed, and painted.
Now 6 months later it is leaching out of the seam again. Anyone have
similar problems or any luck getting warranty on it?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 AM

Dealers have been fixing them with little issue in most cases and they are holding up so far.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:14 AM

Type in "door rust" into the search function and you will find threads of members that have dealt with this.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Banned

Welcome to the forum btw..
Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 AM

Welcome to the site. Yes its under warranty but I would go to a dealer that has there own body shop. had mine done at dealer body shop and they used a tool that unbends the door lip so they can get to the rust. My father had his done at a dealer that sends there body work out and all thet did is sandblasted it and filled thye lip. Im sure it will rust again. I think rust is covered 10 years 100000 miles. I dont know if the warranty applies if you got the car used.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Rest In Peace

They will cover it under the 3 year 36,000 warranty.(Maybe longer for Rust, but I think that only covers Rust Through, A HOLE. 7 years it used to be, not sure about Todays rust through policies.)

But they won't actually FIX it. Once the Rust has set in the seam, its there to stay. Oh sure the dealer will "fix" it but it is Only a cosmetic fix, sand the rust blistered paint and repaint the area. Looks good customer is Happy for a few months until the blisters Return, and they Will return.

The rust is inbetween the folded lip so that makes 4 inner surfaces the rust has started on, and sanding the outside does Nothing to get rid of the Rust.

Someone mentioned opening the lip up, that's pretty much BS, no dealer or body shop is gonna fully remove the door skin to get at ALL of the Rust in the botton door seam.(Unless you PAY to have that done, even then alot of places would just Take your money and just say they did it.)

Even IF you could get them to bend open the Lip some, they are Not gonna get at all the Rust that has already started. And most likely will Damage the outer door skin by denting it up and therefore needing to bondo the dents and repaint the door. And the Rust still won't be FIXED, sadly.

A piss Poor design, and no use of Seam Sealer that I can see has been used.
Sadly we are all gonna Suffer with rotted out HHR Doors sooner or later.

They used to use a seam sealer in door seams and it Slowed rust down. (until it failed in a few years or longer)

I was a full time Journeyman Body & Fender combo man/Auto Painter for about 12 years before I switched Trades.

A quicky, Exploded View Diagram, I did of a doors bottom lip.

Name:  d2babce2.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  11.8 KB
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 AM

"I think rust is covered 10 years 100000 miles."

It varies, but there is a "rust" warranty on most newer cars/trucks. The catch is it's for rust through..... this is surface rust on the inside of the doors so it's often not included in said warranties. They figure it's going to take quite a few years for it to rust through to the outside and by then warranty is expired.

If the car is still covered by the bumper to bumper, they should fix it. Once that is past you're out of luck..... This varies from dealer to dealer so you may have to "shop around"...... Somebody posted some time ago that their dealer wouldn't even cover it under bumper to bumper because it was the owners fault for not cleaning/waxing and keeping the area dry.... It's the bottom of the door and there are water drain holes there, how does one keep it dry?

The specific problem with the HHR is some did not get the proper amount of glue applied to the pinch weld and some came through manufacture with bare metal to metal spots in that area. Quite a few of the same year cars that are subjected to the same conditions don't have the rust, while others do.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Cars in the rust belt suffers from this. Water gets into the door seam. freezes/thaws plus the salt for road clearing helps with the corrosion process. Once started, the rust is most difficult to stop.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
They will cover it under the 3 year 36,000 warranty.(Maybe longer for Rust, but I think that only covers Rust Through, A HOLE. 7 years it used to be, not sure about Todays rust through policies.)

But they won't actually FIX it. Once the Rust has set in the seam, its there to stay. Oh sure the dealer will "fix" it but it is Only a cosmetic fix, sand the rust blistered paint and repaint the area. Looks good customer is Happy for a few months until the blisters Return, and they Will return.

The rust is inbetween the folded lip so that makes 4 inner surfaces the rust has started on, and sanding the outside does Nothing to get rid of the Rust.

Someone mentioned opening the lip up, that's pretty much BS, no dealer or body shop is gonna fully remove the door skin to get at ALL of the Rust in the botton door seam.(Unless you PAY to have that done, even then alot of places would just Take your money and just say they did it.)

Even IF you could get them to bend open the Lip some, they are Not gonna get at all the Rust that has already started. And most likely will Damage the outer door skin by denting it up and therefore needing to bondo the dents and repaint the door. And the Rust still won't be FIXED, sadly.

A piss Poor design, and no use of Seam Sealer that I can see has been used.
Sadly we are all gonna Suffer with rotted out HHR Doors sooner or later.

They used to use a seam sealer in door seams and it Slowed rust down. (until it failed in a few years or longer)

I was a full time Journeyman Body & Fender combo man/Auto Painter for about 12 years before I switched Trades.

A quicky, Exploded View Diagram, I did of a doors bottom lip.

I watched them remove my doors and unbend the lip with my own eyes. I was shocked that they did all that under warrarty also. I too worked for a auto dealer as a Journeyman technican I have seen alot of poor repairs over the years. this repair may not last any longer but I was pleased with the extra effort.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:26 PM

To be honest the doors even left untreated will more than not last at least 10 years with no rust through.

GM has had this happen on many of their other cars and often the car has a lot of miles and year before it is even a factor.

Metal bodies rust and often you just don't see it. Under rocker covers and other parts many times there is a lot of rust you just don't see. Look at many of the old Buicks and Pontiac's with rusted out rockers.

The old 06 models are now going on 6 years old and most of them are holding up well. For 80% of us here we will no longer own our HHR's by the time the rust is an issue and for the 20% that will most of them do not drive them daily or in the snow.

The truths in life People are born, die and cars will rust. Even Fiero's. You should see some the messes they are under the plastic bodies. Often the plactic panels on some are all that are holding it together.

Just a note my Sonoma's thied door rusted in the seam on the bottom. As of now it is 14 year old and it is still not through the body for the new owner. The rust is not a great thing but It is a slow rust issue and not as bad as it could be.

Quick Reply: Rust on Drivers Door