Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

"Severe" Service Schedule / Long Commute

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 PM

"Severe" Service Schedule / Long Commute

Hi Folks,

Figured I'd ask here as I havent found anything as of yet.

I'm looking at starting a job that would entail a daily commute of 140km, 5 days a week. Most of it would be Highway (80km/h and up).

I remember my Toyota Corolla had two service intervals, one that was for occasional drivers, the other for heavy drivers. Does such a thing exist for this car?

Also, any recommended services I should get done before undertaking such a routine? I've recently had the ATF flushed/exchanged, I'm running full synth oil at 8-10k interval (replacing filter half way through).

I really care about this car and want to make sure it lasts. Part of me just wants to buy a beater corolla to do the commute in so I don't kill the HHR :)

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM

Long commutes do not make for severe service. The motor is running at a constant speed and load,(cruise) and will have the least amount of wear. Severe conditions include stop and go..long idling times,,running dirt roads and backroad mountains..a taxi cab is severe,,a realators car..soccer mom who lives 3 miles from the school..pizza boy...think you can see the pattern...run the DIC as it is unless your nervous about trusting GM's recommendations..many people ha ve different views when things should happen,,follow what you feel and what is recommended in the handbook...
Cant comment on the what it needs now without a milage..but, normal look overs, belt, tires, brakes, the common stuff. These cars are racking up over 300k miles with no adverse effects.And these are the ones using them for long distance business trips.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Deceased

Grab your owner's manual and start reading at page 7-4.

While the is no "Severe Service" maintenance schedule as such, they do have the service intervals outlined for use in hot, dusty, or heavy stop and go conditions outlined.

With the commute you're anticipating, I don't believe anything more than routine servicing will be required. 140 klicks a day, with a good percentage of it on the highway, is actually not hard at all on the vehicle.

Now down here in the American south, especially in DC where I work and commute, I keep to the "hot weather, stop and go" maintenance schedule. DC traffic moves at glacial speeds in 90-100 degree temperatures, that really stresses a vehicle's systems.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 PM

The traffic on this commute is hit and miss, some times it will be smooth sailing, and other times it's stop and go.

I guess i'll just have to monitor it and see how things are.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Deceased

These critters will rack up the miles/kilometers without much drama. The '06 that I brought to DC for use during the week has the equivalent of 420,000 kilometers on the engine and transmission with no problems.

The only engine work its ever needed was a front crankshaft seal and a timing chain tensioner, the parts were less than $75 and the labor was free.(work done by me)
Old 07-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Hmm. I guess thats not bad. Other thought is to pick up a second one, 06 or something with 300k on it and use that for the commute.

I dont know, part of me wants to baby this thing, lol. I know it can take it though.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

i do this everyday and i stick to my regular maintenance with no worries or problems, might want to switch to synthetic oil though as a precatuion
Old 07-01-2013, 02:53 PM

Yep, I've been running synthetic since I picked it up 7k ago. Unfortunately I dont know what it had for the rest of its life, but i got it at 83k.

Thanks again everyone for the tips.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:49 PM

As long as you properly service the car you should be fine. It's not like you are going through the mountains in Ontario. If you keep a smooth, consistent speed you will have longevity from the car and great gas mileage. I know I get roughly 40mpg on my trips from Saskatoon-Edmonton.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM

The computer will do a good job of calculating the oil life in relation to stop and go vs highway so if that is the only thing for your commute then the DIC should be fine to follow. I say this because my commute is only 8.5 miles per direction and is along one city street. This nets me roughly only 3k miles before the DIC says I need an oil change.

Now if you haul a trailer or heavy loads every day or travel on dirt road a lot then the computer is not going to be able to calculate for those conditions. So for those things you would have to decide for yourself what you feel is best.

Quick Reply: "Severe" Service Schedule / Long Commute