Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Swirls aka Fine Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hhrmajesty
There is very little real chrome anymore, so what you are dealing with is a plasticized chroming process on many of the "chrome" parts. True chrome plating (also misnamed "triple chrome plating") starts with a completely smooth base metal. The first part of the plating process is copper, then nickel, then finally chrome. I use a product called "BlueMagic" metal polish. It says it is safe and nonabrasive and works on virtually all metal surfaces and plastic and fiberglass too. It also leaves a protective coating behind. I don't know if it is the best product out there, but I have never had any problems with it and it works well for me.
I agree, a whole different world, plastic (fake) chrome...Use caution !!!!!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:20 PM

On the topic of cleaning/protecting the chrome, is there any difference in technique that I need to be aware of when dealing with the "black" chrome on the Fall Edition?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:18 PM

Bumpy bump!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chizzer
On the topic of cleaning/protecting the chrome, is there any difference in technique that I need to be aware of when dealing with the "black" chrome on the Fall Edition?
I would think it would be the same as the bright chrome.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:43 AM

Zaino Products are Great!

I have a black 07 HHR and it is swirl free and shines like the paint is wet. I have to give all the credit to Zaino products, they are the best. They have a swirl remover that is unblievable. All the people at work are always asking me how I keep my car so clean, and I have to give the credit to Zaino. nothing sticks to the paint, including bugs. I have tried all kinds of products (since I am a clean freak) and there are a lot of good products out there, but nothing like Zaino. You owe it to yourself to at least give it a try. Here is what I use and the order I use it in:

1. -PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover

2. Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray

3. Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes

4. Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal

5. Z-CS Clear Seal

I know this sounds like alot, but if you want a shine that turns heads these are the steps. After all has been appied, then you only use #2 for a quick detail. As you can see I am really sold on the way the products perform, and no I don't work for or sell Zaino products. I am just one very happy customer. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Old 05-25-2008, 03:23 AM

I have been showing cars for sevreal years... I am blind and use my hands to determine the condition of the car. Joan is also a good detailer. We had the #2 driven 1990 Jaguar Xj6 in the nation 99.98 a few years back. There is no one product that is a show winner. I used zymol for a while... way to expensive but worked will and smelled good.

For the passed several years I have been using Mothers, 3M and Stoner Products... along with CD2 detailer spray.

Wash first... then clay, then wash again. (always back and forth not in circles EVER)

Apply your favorite cleaning products to your tires, wheels and plastic/rubber. Let them work a bit while you are washing down to the bottom of the car.

Wash from the top down. Lots of soapy water. If the water gets dirty... empty it and make more soapy water.

When claying... use plenty of liquid when claying. Use soapy water, plane water, tar and pitch remover, or detailer spray... plenty of it. Rinse and dry. If you drop the clay... throw it away.

Now you can wax and wipe or...

Use a swirl remover... 3M has two products one for dark paint and one for light colors. Back and forth... unless you really have your act together do this by hand NOT an electric buffer... you can do a lot of harm with buffers.

then "glaze" then glaze again and again if you want a really deep shine.

Wax... what ever toots your horn... I like stuff that goes on thin and wipes easy... natual or synthetic... because I usally put two to ten coats on. oh yea... it should smell good too.

Seal it if you want...
Keep in mind... this is for going to shows... and generally takes one to several days and a lot of up keep... car covers and california dusters. If you get rained on at a show, use a squeegy... minimize wiping. If you wipe... use your favorite spray and shine. back and forth... NO CIRCLES

I love showing cars... my secret wepon is CD2 detailer... I use it everywhere. Wheel wells, door jams, rubber trim and molding... spray the engine compartment the night before and buff it when you get to the show site.

For vynal and hard plastics I use POR products. They last a really long time and CD2 and spray and shine wipe off with out effecting the POR products.

I use all these tecniques on our 55 Chevy and our 70 Malibu even thought neither of these have had a real bath in years. Every once in a while they get a clear water rinse and then all of the above.

Some Chevy shows get down right down. The Malibu took first in an all Chevy show one week and then placed third because the shocks were dirty.

My neice has a black Jetta... bought her a bucket of Mothers products (just about every product they make) for her 21st birthday... she love spending the day at the car wash detailing her car and meeting guys.

Our little red wagon spent the day at the SPA today... sparkily... smooth to eht touch... oooh... aaah.

Remember back and forth... no circles

If you are going to shows to win throphies you have already lost... go to meet the people
Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 AM

As a black '08 ss owner here, i can also say that swirls/light scratches are a easy thing to come by without too much trying

Right now i'm waiting on Steve's micro fiber wash towel kit (and a few other things) so i can get to washing/drying my SS the right way and hopefully creating a lot less swirls.

Well versed in using a buffer ,and might be pulling it out to go over the hood(dunno if it's cuz i can see it better than the other body panels,or just cuz i mighta gone over the hood more than elsewhere.)

Any one know if the random action buffer from Griot's have any advantage over a orbital buffer?
I realize the "burn" factor will prob be nil w/ the random type buffer, but you think it will end up with the same results as a "regular" orbital?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 AM

Ok so I use Meguiars SCRATCH X this weekend and I must have not put enough into it because I couldn't get the swirls out or that stuff isn't as good as the 3M one...suggestions for next time

Last edited by vschriver; 06-09-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by vschriver
Ok so I use Meguiars SCRATCH X this weekend and I must have not put enough into it because I couldn't get the swirls out or that stuff isn't as good as the 3M one...suggestions for next time
Scratch-x is more of a quick fix, to repair the damage you need a real polish and some elbow grease.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:25 PM

mentioned b4 3m... good stuff... not familar with anything else besides mothers... 3m available for both light and dark car finishes... used the dark on my midnight met green and the light on our savoy gret (met) worked good... remember you gets what you pay for. 3m is a bit more expensive... also use their bug and tar remover... way more expesive that stoners tarminater which also a good tar/bug remover,,

remember back and forth NO round and round... R&R causes more swirls

when you polish you HAVE to seal... sealer or wax... when you polish your are removing the protection from your paint or clear coat so don t wait more than two or three days before waxing

Quick Reply: Swirls aka Fine Scratches