Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Tools we seem to need for diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:40 PM
JCC

Tools we seem to need for diagnostics

Saw this and wanted to pass it on. Looks like the DIY needs these to as the problems move inside the parts and not always mechanical but becoming more electric. These scanner's show in real time and let you change/look at parts and systems and settings. The prices keep coming down compared to the big tool companies but still not real cheap to me. SEE: At ---

Regarding the Maxidas Scanner Used in The Video it's $835.00 on Amazon

PS... I saw one of the top USA guy's working on a problem something like the 40 RPM bounce and couldn't fix it because it didn't do it all the time, it comes and goes. My problem too, I had a local tech hook up a scanner and we drove around watching it but it didn't do the bounce so nothing to check/fix. BUT it will still take testing like this to find the problem. I'm thinking it could be a design problem which want be so easy to over come??? Hope the info helps someone...

Old 09-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Technical Moderator

That is what I mean when I say "Tech2 or equivalent". You can do everything but monkey with the firmware, which is the solution that Oldblue recently found.

Look on eBay; you can probably find a used Tech2 for less, you will need the CANDI module. GM is discontinuing the Tech2, so they are cheap.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Administrator

My dealer used their Tech 2 or something like one! And reflashed my TCM.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Technical Moderator

Fashing is monkeying with the firmware. You need a subscription to TisWeb and a tool that can talk to it to do flashing, i.e. reloading firmware vs. resetting software.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:43 AM
Deceased

Flashing Monkies!!!

Shock! Horror!! Preverts!!!

(Yeah, I know the word is "Perverts", but in The South we say "Preverts" OK)
Old 09-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Technical Moderator

oldblue hasn't put the Barney Fife picture up yet?
Old 09-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Barney didn't flash like this guy!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:05 PM
JCC

reloading firmware vs. resetting software

I am unsure about the terms reloading firmware vs. resetting software... or what equipment is needed for this work. I had mine reflashed after oldblue did his due to the 40 RPM bounce.

BUT I had no change and still have the bounce. The tech told me that I had the latest up date but reflashed it anyway so I got something for my 100. charge. I have asked oldblue to ask the dealer he used to give us the identification for the program he used. I keep hearing that everyone has the same program's but they keep coming out with up dates. So the question becomes which program is being used so it can be referenced. Again they all say they use the same program as the dealer uses. SOUNDS like GM has another company that makes these parts AND their updates.

The other thing is, like old blue got a fixed and it corrected the problem but what was wrong in the first place? What was the problem and how was it fixed and how would you detect it / test for it.

One thing I will pass on that I was told by the dealer... when all cars come in for a service / anything anytime. The dealership is suppose to reflash everything and check the computer systems. This is what I was told and when they have time it may get done ????

For me... I still have the problem NOW between 35 to 50, when it wants to. Don't know where to go now as throwing money at it want fix it and we have all tried about every thing. Open for suggestions and directions.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:25 PM
Technical Moderator

Well, Delphi used to be part of GM they designed the computer systems, but they don't make the Tech2. I'm not sure who owns TisWEB, or who writes the code they supply.

You could just relax and accept that the transmission can't decide which gear to be in when it gets to a certain point. Ive had several vehicles that did the same thing; a Nissan Pickup, 3 Toyota Pick ups, a Ford Tempo, an Olds 88. The Nissan was really annoying, I always assumed it was because the underpowered engine. I never really noticed on either of my HHRs, it just seemed normal that when the computer decided it was time for overdrive the car wasn't going fast enough to put up with that high a gear. I would either accel or slow just a bit and let it even out.

Maybe yours is an entirely different thing.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:55 PM

My solution to the 40 MPH bounce? Drive at 35 MPH or 45 MPH LOL

Quick Reply: Tools we seem to need for diagnostics