Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Windshield washer pump grommet leak fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:08 PM
Banned

Windshield washer pump grommet leak fix

After doing some recent maintenance, I topped off our Washer fluid jug.

After getting a shower and coming out to double check my work I noticed the jug was nearly empty again, and I was standing in a puddle of Washer fluid.

So I partially removed the Air filter housing to get the needed clearance to remove the jug, expecting to find a crack in it somewhere.

I didn't find a crack, So I pulled the pump, expecting to see a dry rotted grommet or leaking pump.

I found nothing at all wrong, So I cleaned up the crusty washer fluid residual on the engine mount directly under the jug. I also cleaned up the grommet pump and jug. I put the grommet and pump back in. and filled it with water after plugging the pump outlets with vacuum caps.

Still no leak, So bounced the jug around and the pump easily pooped out of the jug.

looking at it closer the pump held in place by friction like others have mentioned, but there was just a small trace of yellow adhesive where the pump locks into the jug. this adhesive dried up allowing the pump to come loose.

So I figured no problem I would just go to Chevy, pick up a new grommet, and put a little Caulking around the stem to secure the pump.

No such luck, Chevy doesn't sell just the grommet, they expect you to buy a new pump at $68.00 which comes with a new grommet.

I looked online, no luck. even companies that sell washer pump grommets for nearly every car in the world doesn't have anything for the HHR.

Being on a fixed income, I refuse to waste my cash on a pump when it still works. especially for a .95 cents grommet.

So I made sure the pump, tank and grommet was completely clean, I used water proof caulking to secure the grommet to the tank, and put a little bead around suction stem and a little on the securing stem then put the pump back in.

I let it sit overnight filled it with water then shook the jug pretty hard, not one drop came out. the pump stayed in place.

Best of all I screwed GM out of $68.00 of my money.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Technical Moderator

It is usually not the grommet leaking. It is the internal seal in the pump, or the tab at the top of the pump being broken off. More common in cold climates. I just replaced my pump last week for about $32 on eBay.

No adhesive is used in the installation. If you saw evidence of some that means somebody has added it.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by donbrew
It is usually not the grommet leaking. It is the internal seal in the pump, or the tab at the top of the pump being broken off. More common in cold climates. I just replaced my pump last week for about $32 on eBay.

No adhesive is used in the installation. If you saw evidence of some that means somebody has added it.
All I can tell you is what I found, which is a small bit of yellow adhesive on the stem that locks into the jug, no one has ever had the need to touch this part.

Your wrong as far as my HHR is concerned the leak was not the pump.

If they didn't use the adhesive like I clearly viewed, that would be stupid
because there would be nothing to keep the pump from sliding up.

Its funny you get on here and tell me I am wrong yet, somehow my leak is cured and I didn't spend a dime.

I know I can buy cheap parts online, even AC Delco parts.
but none of those parts come with a receipt showing the VIN number.

I have a complete service history on our HHR, and each and every service or part record has the VIN on it.

You may be a Moderator, and even work at a Chevy dealer but this is no way makes you an expert on my 2010 Chevy HHR washer pump.

I worked at Schumacher Automotive a GM dealer as a line mechanic for years, and the small amount of adhesive that I found on the stem of my pump, is right inline with the programmed or planned failure that GM and many other manufactures do to parts to keep their company with a never ending supply of paying customers either in the parts department, service department or both.

Do a survey and find out just how many of these leaks develop just after the
warranty expires.

I am willing to bet that you did none of the diagnostic, investigative work that I did. you simply purchased the cheapest pump you could because you could afford it.

If your jug is not leaking at the moment, it is only because of the fresh grommet. the first time you hit a decent size pot hole or speed bump you will see the jug by itself is not designed to securely hold the pump in position.

The fluid in the jug that will slosh around especially when the fluid is at a lower level,this will cause a water hammering effect pushing the pump and grommet out of position. This is amplified when turning into a steep driveway or bump at an angle.

This is because the jug has a small lip to over come when inserting the pump,once in place.

The slot in the jug provides little to no friction to hold it in place. if you do not believe me the next time you need washer fluid pull the pump remove the grommet and snap the pump in place, the pump will slide up with little to no resistance.

The only thing keeping yours in place and from leaking is the new .95 cent grommet. yet it will not keep it there for long. because the hole in the jug is poorly formed and the grommet doesn't have enough of a ledge to lock it into place.

Its funny you only responded to this post because you wasted your money and time waiting on a eBay pump. and obviously didn't check the basics.

Put your ego aside and add a small amount of water proof caulking on the stem of your pump to keep it from coming loose again.

if your pump did in fact develop a leak because of the extreme cold weather in your area, its because you did not have the proper fluid in the jug to protect it against freezing temperatures you experience.

They make washer fluid that will not freeze until -25 deg if your area is known to get colder than that, you should drain the tank and make sure the pump is dry before it gets that cold.

However since I used to live in Fredricksburg , Spotsylvainia, and Partlow VA back in the 80s I know the record low to date was no where near -25.

This post was intended to help HHR owners who do not want to waste money on parts just to have the problem reappear.

the steps I recommended cost nothing to try, if you went into a GM service center a new washer pump would cost over $ 130.00 installed

My GM service center gets $109 per hour. and they get enough of my money.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Technical Moderator

Excuse me, where did I say you are wrong?

I said "usually". I have had two HHRS and r&r'd the pumps on both of them several times. I once broke the tab off the top of the pump and had to put a piece of rubber in the slot to hold the pump in place.

The purpose of a rubber seal is to NOT need caulking. I believe the yellow trace you saw was the QC crayon from the factory, that's what it is on my car. Maybe yours is different.

Maybe the quick lube guys got in there when they were pretending to change your filter.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Wow - someone sure woke up on the wrong side of the bed. An apology would be suitable for misinterpreting and going into an undeserved rant.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whopper
Wow - someone sure woke up on the wrong side of the bed. An apology would be suitable for misinterpreting and going into an undeserved rant.
I am sorry to think any of you would simply, read a post and say hey this may help a few people save some money.

But it is clear all of you Moderators are the very same people who payfor nickel and dime repairs.
I am trying help you.

It is also obvious that none of you are ASE or factory trained and certified technicians.

You wont hear from me again.

Last edited by 843de; 08-09-2015 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Low tolerence for bad uncalled for behaviour. Go to the corner.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

Goodbye
Old 08-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Technical Moderator

I re opened the thread because I have a sane addition to it.

Today, while I was doing routine maintenance, I notices the washer reservoir was empty even though I filled it just last week.

I had installed a new pump a few weeks ago. It came from an eBay vendor, with GM part numbers on it (it is definitely a Genuine GM part). The grommet WAS leaking!

I save old broken parts, because I got nuthin better to do (someday I'll figure out how to fix all of them and open a store). I inspected both grommets and discovered the the old one had a notch molded into it the new one was just tapered.

So I switched grommets. Still a drip! UNTIL; I pressed down on the pump about 1/8 inch tighter than the notch & tang at the top was holding it. Put a bit of stuff in the notch and VIOLA()!; no more leak.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Deceased

Interesting to know Don, and it'll prove helpful to others in the future, so thanks for the added info and update.

Now if the former member knelson1969 had been an adult about things, he'd be able to benefit from membership here.

Instead, he's Banned due to his expletive ridden tirade(since edited), a forum is about the sharing of information and opinions...not acting like a truculant snot.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:45 AM

Old thread but I thought too that the Mods were out of line

Quick Reply: Windshield washer pump grommet leak fix